The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many guys own and have used those Savage 24 combination guns? I use my Grandfathers. It's a .22 mag over .410 and is just about perfect for squirrels and groundhogs. My late FIL had one in .223 over 12 gauge that I used for Fall turkey and it was just perfect for that application. My buddy won one in a raffle one time and it was a .357 mag over 20 gauge. We never really figured out what that one was good for? Anyhow I think the Savage 24's are a great, practical firearm.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I just traded a member for one in. 223/20ga, its the third one I've owned the other two being. 222's. This one is very accurate and the shotgun shoots spot on with the rifle. There's a 24 website that I read sometimes that's kind of cool. Great fall Turkey gun,used to be able to use rifles in WV in the spring, but don't know if that's still the case.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I bought one in .222/20ga from an HPA member earlier this year,put a scope on it and was very impressed with the accuracy of the .222.I haven't patterned the 20ga. yet.
Some folks have told me they get a different POI from the 2 barrels.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
fordman99 said:
I bought one in .222/20ga from an HPA member earlier this year,put a scope on it and was very impressed with the accuracy of the .222.I haven't patterned the 20ga. yet.
Some folks have told me they get a different POI from the 2 barrels.
When I use the scope the shotgun patterns a foot lower that 222 POI.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
moosehunter said:
How many guys own and have used those Savage 24 combination guns? I use my Grandfathers. It's a .22 mag over .410 and is just about perfect for squirrels and groundhogs. My late FIL had one in .223 over 12 gauge that I used for Fall turkey and it was just perfect for that application. My buddy won one in a raffle one time and it was a .357 mag over 20 gauge. We never really figured out what that one was good for? Anyhow I think the Savage 24's are a great, practical firearm.
Great close range deer gun right there!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
mine is a old 22/410 bunny buster.the barrel selector is on the side of the reciever,not on the hammer like the newer one are.i brazed the rear sight to keep it from moving while carrying it.no serial # on it either.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
My uncle has one that's a 22 Hornet over a 12ga(I think 12ga...I'm sure of the Hornet). I never played with it much, but I remember it being kind of bulky and heavy. He bought it for fall turkey hunting....I don't think he ever actually hunted with it before he quit hunting though.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I had one that was a .22 Magnum over 20 gauge.

It was a real pretty gun with game scenes on the sides.
I had some guns that I wanted to sell and I figured that I would sell it cheaper then what I paid for it and maybe it would spark a interest in the guns that I had for sale.

I bought it for $350 and I sold it for $250

A guy saw my ad in the AD Bargain and drove up from Bedford PA = 100 miles, bought it for his son so they could fall turkey hunt together.

I had a feeling that I sold it too cheap.

15 minutes later, a grandfather called me and said he collected that model and that he wanted it for his grandson for the same reason.
Told me to call the other guy back and he would give me $$100.00 more then the other guy paid me for it.

I guess the moral of the story is to know how much a gun is worth and how much a person is willing to pay for it before you sell it.

That week I also sold a Winchester model 88 in 308 for $500

It seem's like I give too many guns away!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I have a 222/20 ga and I think it makes a nice squirrel gun, although a little on the heavy side.

I actually won this gun in 1994 in the Game Commission's SPORT Essay Contest.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I have a 24f in 223/12 gauge with a 2-7 Nikon on it. With 55gr NBT's it easily shoots an inch at 100 yards. The shotgun barrel shoots a little lower than the rifle but not enought to worry about and is easily compensated for.

·
Registered
18,421 Posts
I had a 24F some years back and hated it. I purchased it originally as a coyote gun (.223 over a 12ga). The trigger pull was terrible, the selector switch on the hammer was difficult to operated with gloved hands but my big problem was the POI while using a scope with the shotgun barrel. It would hit almost two feet low. Try aiming that low at a running critter. I ended up selling it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've got the same as cooncrazy! .22lr/.410 and no serial # on it!

·
Registered
496 Posts
24V in 30-30 over 20 ga it killed a few rabbits but never made the big game end had it while I was in Alaska

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
24V here, 222/20 ga. i used it growing up hunting. inherited it from dad when he couldn't hunt anymore. one thing was he tore it appart to reblue it and lost the barrel band. no one has one and didn't want to spend 200 on a set of barrels. got my sister in laws husband to make one. have yet to resight it in but i will for next deer season!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts