The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the market for a decent priced ($600 or less) bolt action rifle capable of great accuracy at between 100-300 yards.

I have a 2 mile hike to one of my favorite hunting spots so which is the lightest most accurate dependable synthetic out of the box?

I already have a 700 chambered in 308 that weighs a ton and is about 40 years i guess. its a decent gun but im looking for a synthetic.

Which would be the better choice?

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
savage, i held a 111 in 270 and it was sythetic, very light and felt good. i was tempted but didnt buy it, i like wood stocks.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Neither.....a Browning Composite Stalker would be lighter and probably less expensive than the Remington.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hahahahahahaha

Now Im more torn than ever!

For the most part the shots seem to fall around 150-250.

which is better cycling of rounds?
which is lighter?
does the savage accutrigger really come in handy?
ive never shot the savage but have the remington.
which gun is all around smother to handle and shoot?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have both guns. The Savages in .270, 30-06, and 300WM. The Remington with the new trigger in 300WM. The Savages all have the accutrigger. All are light weight with synthetic stocks although I really prefer wood. All have been very good shooters out of the box. No difference in smoothness of operation. I like the triggers on both guns which is an improvement over the older models. Remington stocks have always been the most comfortable stocks for me and it is the same with the synthetic stock. Either brand would be a good rifle for you at the ranges you want to shoot and beyond.

You need to handle both to see what is most comfortable for you. Both should be very close in accuracy.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
PA-Joe said:
Remington Model 7 20 inch barrel.
This is exactly what you need for that long hike..Remember, hunting is 99% carrying and 1% shooting..Equip yourself for that long haul and be confident that the Model 7 will handle the shot when the time comes.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Smokey. I have an older Rem 700 in 308 that shoots pretty well. Its great If im not hiking that far in the woods but my 1 spot is 2 miles in and carry a heavy rifle along with my treestand and deer cart is a load especially if I score.

Whats a real good scope to top it off with?

I normally will go with a 3x-12x by 50

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Big Ken said:
PA-Joe said:
Remington Model 7 20 inch barrel.
This is exactly what you need for that long hike..Remember, hunting is 99% carrying and 1% shooting..Equip yourself for that long haul and be confident that the Model 7 will handle the shot when the time comes.

whats the weight difference between the 3 guns? I have not been able to find that info

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I can't give you a specific weight figure, but the Model 7 on a sling feels like a 22 rimfire.....A large scope (3x-12x-50mm) on such a rifle will throw it terribly off-balance...I prefer a Leupold 3x9 Compact on my Model 7's.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
The model 7 is a sweet rifle in the carrying and shooting department. My father-in-law has one in 7mm-08 and its a shooter. I'd also look at the Tikka T3 Lite. I have two and they both shoot sub MOA at 100 yards. And they were going for $535.00 brand new. The actions and triggers stock are unbelievable. Get a descent Leupy, Burris, Bushnell Elite, new Weaver or a Nikon 3-9 and you'd be good at those ranges. I like 4-12's but the 3-9 would be smaller and lighter.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
Is a pound or 2 difference over a 1-2 mile hike gonna make that much difference to justify the cost, it wouldnt to me. do some pushups and go for walks in the off season. not picking on ya but a remington is what close to $700. 1-2 miles isnt that far a walk, if you get a deer then that will be a lonnng walk

1 - 20 of 50 Posts