The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really wild but darn good.

Well snowed in this morning. 6 inches so I had to do something. I have 6 gallon of Milk Chocolate Stout brewing plus 6 gallon of hard cider going so...

Sauerkraut. Real easy to make and it's good luck to eat it on New Years day. I need all the luck I can get. Made 10 pounds. Good stuff.

·
Registered
9,628 Posts
Killed a good eatin' hog in SC this fall, 128lb sow. Gonna make wild pork and kraut for New Years. :smile2:

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Started mine in early Oct.Should be ready next 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
785 Posts
We put down 75 lbs this year. Been down for a month. Very easy to make 5 lbs cabbage to 3 tbls of canning salt then stomp until juicy then repeat. cover with water filled garbage bags ( use at least three in case they leak) can be used after a month but we leave it down for two. We just made kolbossa and krout from last yeay and man is is it good. Cant walk by the crock pot with taking a bite. Youl never go back to store bought.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We put down 75 lbs this year. Been down for a month. Very easy to make 5 lbs cabbage to 3 tbls of canning salt then stomp until juicy then repeat. cover with water filled garbage bags ( use at least three in case they leak) can be used after a month but we leave it down for two. We just made kolbossa and krout from last yeay and man is is it good. Cant walk by the crock pot with taking a bite. Youl never go back to store bought.
Same way. I use 2 tablespoons pickling salt for 5 pounds. If I use jars I use the jar lid as a cookie cutter and cut a top out of a cabbage leaf to go on top. Some jars I'll mix in some caraway seeds.

Don't tighten the lids they'll blow up.

Attachments

·
Registered
785 Posts
we use a big antique crock then freeze or can. Fresh krout is loaded with probiotics that are killed when heated or frozen.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
I use a 5 gal bucket.
Shred a 1/4 large head and put in bucket.Stomp down with a stomper or use your fist.Sprinkle a good amount Kosher salt ( no iodine important ).Repeat layers.Dinner plate on top held down with a gal container of water.I drape a plastic bag over top to keep dust off.
1st day should have about 2" of liquid covering cabbage.If not add water as some cabbage is dry.
I start sometimes in late Sept-mid Oct. but you can make it year round.You will get LOTS of mold on top of all colors and thats OK.
Ready about Jan 1. then can or freeze it.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Caxtell you don't happen to make kraut with a guy nicknamed Scratch do you??

·
Registered
274 Posts
I use plastic food safe buckets or containers. I also cover with water filled bag that hug the containers to
make a good seal. same recipes as mentioned above. we make enough to last couple years. very easy to make.

·
Registered
970 Posts
If you just want to try a small batch I've had good luck with a quart mason jar, 1 1/2 - 2 T sea salt, & enough water to cover per head of cabbage. I mash the cabbage and salt before I put it in the jar.

·
Registered
255 Posts
That’s what im planning on using. I have a 6 gal bucket that my wine juice came in that has a small gasket on top. I bought an antique cabbage shredder as well. First time making it, so don’t know what to expect.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts