The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 1039 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with a 3rd party vendor on behalf of the Game Commission polling questions about the Saturday Opener, Sunday Hunting and whether or not I like it or not. Me being the one to ask them questions and trying to figure out why, it seems they are going to be polling a bunch of people all over the state instead of the small sample size before to figure out whether or not they are keeping the new Saturday start and Sunday hunting, or changing it back. They have a number from each county they are trying to get and are hoping for some good particiapation. It was a 717 area code number that cold called me. Be on the lookout if you want your voice heard about the topic either way!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Love the Saturday opener and Sunday 2nd day. Not everyone is retired or has weeks of vacation and I for one am one of those people that don't. My position at work only allows small amounts of time off(I have switched companies which all resulted in the same situation) at any one time. With the Saturday and Sunday plus 2 additional days(Monday and Tuesday) I get to hunt 4 days rather than 2 so my available number of days to hunt has doubled.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
As someone who spent 5 straight days going to bed around midnight and getting up around 4 I would definitely prefer to opener to start on Sunday at the earliest. Then at least I don’t have to stay up packing late Thanksgiving night and rushing out at first light Friday morning to make it to camp in time to wrap things up before the hunt then next day. We could actually have Friday night to have a big dinner, hang out around the camp fire, have some drinks, tell old tales and actually get more than 4 hours of sleep.

Deer season used to be relaxing but when your running on a few hours sleep that many days in a row and there’s 13 deer on the ground by the second day now it almost feels like work.

I will say that I am a fan of the concurrent season, grew up with it and the buck only BS got old real quick. I already only get two weeks to hunt with a rifle I don’t need to be limited to one for does.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I also have to be at work Tuesday. So I do appreciate hunting all day Sat, Sun and Mon. BUT, I do miss my non hunting camp time. Sadly it is one of the only times I see my Dad's side of the family (Uncles, cousins, etc.). It used to be our time to do a wild game feast, organize a pheasant hunt, drink a beer around the fire, etc. And that aspect is gone. One idea (or compromise) that I don't hear talked about a lot is this: keep a Sat. opener but move it up or back one week. I am sure there are some reasons that will be listed here as to why this is not perfect (nothing is). But those guys that can miss work could come maybe Wed. evening and at least have some goof off time before hunting opens. And guys that can only hunt the weekend still get to hunt opening day. But season opening two days after Thanksgiving makes it tough to come to camp early! Can we shift the whole thing by a week??? Like I said, I am sure there are reasons it is not that simple. Other seasons interfering, etc. But just a thought.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I love it. Hunting season isn’t about sitting around for days waiting to get in the woods. It’s about maximizing your time to kill a buck, in most cases, as close to the rut as possible. I agree it is rushed to leave on Friday morning after Thanksgiving and be in the woods by Saturday morning. But that is two more days to hunt that we never had before for guys that still work. For the life of me I can’t see how people are opposed to this.

If your primary concern is the camaraderie of camp, not being rushed, then wait and go hunting on Sunday or Monday. It’s that simple.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I love it. Hunting season isn’t about sitting around for days waiting to get in the woods. It’s about maximizing your time to kill a buck, in most cases, as close to the rut as possible. I agree it is rushed to leave on Friday morning after Thanksgiving and be in the woods by Saturday morning. But that is two more days to hunt that we never had before for guys that still work. For the life of me I can’t see how people are opposed to this.

If your primary concern is the camaraderie of camp, not being rushed, then wait and go hunting on Sunday or Monday. It’s that simple.
Agree 100%!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I will never really like it, it resulted in a net loss of time to hunt for me in NY at my camp with a rifle because the season now overlaps 2 days sooner. For those who don't get that, it takes away me being able to hunt a high percentage Saturday at a property I put effort into all year. I usually hunted black Friday and Saturday, closed camp down so water wouldn't freeze and slide home Sunday. I realized the world didn't revolve around me long before the Saturday opener, doesn't mean I have to crap sunshine when it's brought up.

Anyone who advocates missing the opener in PA isn't really serious, they are stirring something for fun. If it weren't such an important day, why move it? Why did it matter if others couldn't go out on the opener....? Why is it still talked about then?

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Open it on Sunday and let the crying really start.

Change, the one thing in PA no one can ever accept. And I agree with the "if you are not liking the opening day as it is, wait and go Monday".

1 - 20 of 1039 Posts