The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got out for the first time on Saturday. On the morning hunt I ended up sitting on the ground at the base of my tree. My tree strap/rope was missing the caribiner. When I met up with my son his ended up having 2. Not sure how that happened.

The evening hunt went a little better. We went to stands in a different location. Got in the stand and settled around 3:45. At 4:00 I heard some leaves crunching but didn’t see anything. Heard it again a few minutes later and a buck appeared about 60 yards away. His rack looked bright against the backdrop. Another deer I couldn’t identify was behind him. The buck milled around and worked away from me out of sight. I didn’t see anything else until 5:20 when I noticed movement and the buck was working back my way. At 5:50 he walked into a shooting lane at about 20 yards quartering away and I took the shot. He spun around and ran about 25 yards and stopped. There happened to be branches with leaves that blocked my view and all I could see was his legs. It seemed like forever but probably seconds and he fell over, kicked a couple times and it was over. I could see his white belly from the stand. I thought about one of the recent threads about how you handle buck fever. Once he fell my hands were shaking and my leg was jumping. My son text me and asked what I shot because he said he could hear the shot/hit. I was surprised but it was really quiet when the wind wasn't blowing. He said he would go get his quad where we left them and help me load him up. I told him to finish his hunt but he insisted. While waiting for my son I looked for my arrow but couldn't find it and figured it was lost in the ferns. I didn't realize until I got to the buck that I didn't get a pass thru. It lodged in the opposite shoulder. We loaded him up, headed to my quad and back to load him in the truck. When we arrived at camp we saw that somebody got a better buck and had it hanging. We skinned the deer and went inside. The camp owner opened a bottle of crown and we had a celebratory toast and watched the Penn State game. Great evening with my son and friends.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,769 Posts
Awesome! Was waiting for some crossbow kills to show up. Thats a fine buck and sounds like some great memories made! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks a lot guys for taking the time to comment. Much appreciated. Good luck to all and have a fun and safe season.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts