The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out with my Dad and Girlfriend today and dug up some sassafrass root. Oh baby!! I'm in heaven!!

Anyone else still do this old tradition in the early parts of the year?

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
We always dig a little. I love the stuff.
Have any of you ever froozen the roots to use them later? Any other tricks for digging, keeping, and using the stuff?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i do it once in a while. its an acquired taste for sure. i have heard it is cancer causing so i don't overdo it. but then again, what ain't?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No need to freeze them, peel the bark off the roots and dry it for later use.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Thanks John, I'll give that a try this year.

I read that there is a small cancer concern but also that it is good for the blood and a spring time tonic?

I'll risk it. My parents never seemed to have suffered any ill effects from drinking it.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Sassafrass Tea Yum!!! Don't remember when I had it last but can still smell it and taste it like it was yesterday.

·
Registered
871 Posts
We do it every few years. We used to put a pot on the wood burner at camp, make the place smell great. Also, try a shot of Jaegermeister in it....if 21 of course. Excellent.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Safrole the chemical in Sassafras root is claimed to be toxic that is why the Food and Drug Admin prohibits is use in the manufacture of Root Beer.

I still make it, it is one of those things that just seems right about life along with fresh dandelion greens with bacon grease, fried potatoes, and ramps.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The Govt. says that it is toxic and causes cancer,
I have done some research on it and have found that some part of the chemical (natural)is a ingrediant in Extacy

When I barbcue out side and smoke some meats I always use some sassafrass in my fires and even grouchy realatives have a good time
Must be something to it

Any how the govt just dont want us to have a good time lol

Drink it and be happy and Healthy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts