The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long are you supposed to let the roots dry before using them for tea? I made some the other day, the flavor was excellent except very bitter. Dried for only a week.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DIYA! I have heard about it bein a carcenogenic, but If the 100's of cups I had as a kid didn't kill me then the heck with it.

Ok so I did everything right except I left the bark on. Maybe I steeped to long? The flavor was right on except for the extreme bitterness. Or could it be too early?

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ummm I just read a little better. i think I drank the 1 quart to root mixture straight without adding additional water. I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks Again!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You only are supposed to use the bark from the roots, not the whole root. That is more than likely your problem with bitterness.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks John. I looked around on the internet but everybody seems to be scattered on their info. I will try the bark alone.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
You can boil the root (bark removed), it just takes a little more sweetener to overcome the bitterness.

Now you know it's true cause you read it on the internet

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
take the root a several small trees and peel the bark and DISCARD the root. let it dry for a few days and then use a handful or so per pot of water. i usually add sugar to taste and sometimes i need to adjust the ratio of bark/water depending on how strong you want it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i always use the whole root bark on. boiled for 15 min. steeped for 30 min. on low with the stove always taste good to me

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ok the cancer causing agent only affects a particular gene in the rodent family! Humans dont carry that gene,

The sasafrass has a uforic (to big for me to spell)uforic affect on people, it make them happy and easy going almost like a drug,
A friend that was a very smart anylist said it has a ingredent like E pills, thats why the Govt made selling it
against the law, all you can get is a altered version.

but it is great for a stroke patient like myself and keeps the blood flowing smoothly,

just dont over do it you will bleed internally and be in trouble,
2-3 cups a week wont hurt any one I do every other day,

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
How do you propogate the sassafrass? I tried digging it and it just a very long trailing root. Didn't seem to have any feeder roots on it.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
foxhunter50 said:
Ok the cancer causing agent only affects a particular gene in the rodent family! Humans dont carry that gene,
Good, been drinking , knawing, sucking on Sass for many years. I guess I'll see...........

·
Registered
79 Posts
Swift said:
foxhunter50 said:
Good, been drinking , knawing, sucking on Sass for many years. I guess I'll see...........
guess i will also...

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Living is a known carcinogen!

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
The root bark of American sassafras contains a few percent of steam volatile oil which is typically 75% safrole.[10] Attempts to refine safrole from sassafras bark are generally not economically viable due to low yield and high effort.[citation needed] Demand for safrole is causing rapid and illicit harvesting of the Cinnamomum parthenoxylon tree in Southeast Asia, in particular the Cardamom Mountains in Cambodia.[11] However, it is not clear what proportion of illicitly harvested safrole is going toward MDMA (Ecstacy) production.

Safrole (Safriole) is a list one narcotic in the US as a precursor drug used in the manufacture of more potent drugs. It is also used in making pesticides.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts