The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, we all know now how to make sumac drink, let here wome of the methods and recipies people have for sassafra tea.

i take the root about 2-3 3"-4" peices of root, peal it and boil in water till the colar of the bark when flaked off(orangish, red) , add sugar to your liking and enjoy.

·
Registered
12,372 Posts
Darn good stuff. Watch that safriole though. Some say it is addictive and claim it is a narcotic. (pappy's Sassafras Tea Extract says right on the label, "safriole free" )

The roots of sassafrass are definitely better than bark or leaves for tea. Although traditional Gumbo was thickened with powdered dried sassafras leaves.

A similar tea can be made from Birch roots.

I do like apple butter flavored with sassafras.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I might have to try some of that tea. I know where some is growing.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Zimmer, you have something there with the sassafras flavored apple butter!! I loved sass tea as a kid and haven't had any in ages. We grow plenty of mint, and love it, but sometimes I just crave sass!!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Best time of the year to harvest is after the leaves fall off and all the good stuff is back down in the roots. Right now is a good time to mark the trees for later harvest. My Uncle and I would do it when we hunted his land years ago. My Grandmother would give us big red ribbons to tie on the trees so she would know where to look. I love sassafras tea on a cold winter's morning. Haven't had it in years, thanks for making me remember to look for some this year!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
zimmer, I read about the narcotic properties somewhere and mentioned it on an earlier thread on here. I got jumped on like flies on a hot dog t..d.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts