The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I wouldn't stick my neck out with a recommendation as things and outfitters change with time. But if you book a hunt I have a lot of very cold weather gear I could sell you.

I would suggest going to the Sportsman show in Harrisburg and focus heavily on checking out recent references including those who went home without a buck.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I think i would find an outfitter that has heated shacks. I have afriend who used to go there. Had a custom made coveralls made from a sleeping bag. Said it wasent bad but would be dropped early in morning picked up at night. Had to keep sandwichs inside of clothes so they wouldnt freeze. Sounds like a place i wouldnt care to be. Best of luck finding an outfitter and your hunt, those bucks there sure are awesome.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
Look forward to the replies.

This hunt (or Alberta) is on my bucket list.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Just make sure it's clean of any oils that hold moisture and lubed with some dry lube that can handle those super cold temperatures if you encounter them. As far as a choice, in my opinion any of the modern bolt action rifles will do, the scope would be a standard Leupold 3x9 would fit the bill, caliber-whatever you can handle and shoot accurate with lots of clothes on, the main thing..use great bullets-partitions or triple shocks fit the bill. No use spending all that cash and having a elcheappo bulet touching your buck or wolf. GET IN SHAPE--even sitting in a blind is easier when you all toned up.. good luck and post the pics

·
Registered
117 Posts
Buck,
Just a couple of years ago this hunt looked like it was possibly going to come together for me and a couple guys. I spent countless hours on the internet looking over outfitters. I talked to quite a few and checked references on ones I had narrowed it down to. The place we were going to go to was Diamond Willow Hunts. The reasons I had chosen this place were the fellow that runs it was great to talk to, he didn't try to sell you, he didn't have to. The pictures, the references, really everything was first class. I liked the fact that most of the guides were local farmers thatnew the area, and had grown up hunting right there where they were taking you hunting. Also, when searching on the internet for hunts make sure the outfitters pictures are broken down year by year. Anyone can have a handful of big bucks taken over the course of 25 years and when they bunch them together it looks very impressive. The main reason I had chosen this place was though it was hard to get in. He had so many repeat clients that they just booked back in before they left to come home. The best part about that is repeat clients usually hold out for true trophies. They have shot a couple 140" - 150" deer and are now looking for Booners, all that equates to more borderline deer being let go til next year. I did have a good friend and two of his buddies use this outfitter after my hunt fell through and they all scored, two of them shot great bucks and one guy pulled the triger to quickly but the said the whole experience was first rate.
Good luck, check references of both successful and unsuccessful hunters, heated stands would be good, time in the stand + big bucks. I hope to go myself soon.
Jack (ECO)

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Also, keep in mind that stories or accounts from references can be misleading. Therefore do not take one or even a couple of accounts as completely accurate indicators of the potential.

If I were to tell you that I've hunted in Saskatchewan 7 times, (4 deer hunts), but that the biggest bucks I ever killed were right here in the USA and in Pennsylvania, you might think that is a bad mark for Sask ---- but not so.

Every year that I've been there someone in camp of our group of 6 hunters got a 170 class buck and every year I also "saw" bigger bucks than I took home. I "did" get a buck on each hunt, and so did all the others, but I just was never able to align the stars to put the really big ones in my sights.

Cold? Yup! We hunted from dark to dark, (about 10 hours), and most days the temps were below or at zero f..... and few times I recall -25f.
I was attempting to take a buck with my bow that year and could not even pull the bow back. I called a buck within 12 yards but couldn't close the deal. I ended up borrowing my buddys' left-handed 308, (I'm right handed), and killing the buck on the last day with the rifle at 7 yards!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I don't profess to be a Saskatchewan expert but here is some info that you may find helpful. I needed a Saskatchewan outfitter to book for and got a referral from a guy I know that has extensive hunting experience and has hunted up there for 20+ years.

I checked out the outfitter he suggested and even called the local provincial conservation officer to ask about the outfitter and also the condition of the deer herd. I was told they had significant winter kill the past few years including the 2010-2011 winter. He told me they do not do whitetail mortality surveys but he felt they had lost 40% of the herd four years ago. Which animals die in a bad winter? Typically it is fawns and mature bucks that are run down from the rut.

I went up and did the hunt on Thanksgiving week 2011. I spent 6 days on stand 10 hours a day. Thank God for Heater Body Suits! I saw a good number of 1.5 year old bucks, a few 2.5 year olds and two that were 3.5 - one of which was right around 140. I went into the hunt with the mindset of taking a 150 or better or nothing at all. I ended up eating the tag which I have no problem doing.

The outfitter did his part. They had good stand locations, the stands were safe and comfortable and they continued to bait well during the hunt. However, I just didn't see any 4.5 year old or older bucks. I am sure there are some there but not in abundance. The rut was in full swing and they should have been visible. On the trip home, I made it a point to talk to a lot of hunters at the Saskatoon airport. It was a broken record of what I had experienced - lots of small bucks and 140 inch deer being the best they saw. No doubt bigger bucks were taken but their numbers are down.
The outfitter I hunted with had a 191 and a 160 killed in 2010 so the area has the potential. It will get better in a few years unless winter kill occurs again.

I would suggest that you ask for the 2011 references list for both successful and unsuccessful hunters. Be sure to ask the ref's how many 150+ bucks they saw. Ask how many 150+ were killed while they were in camp. Don't rely on what an outfitter produced 2-5 years ago. I would also suggest talking to the Ministry of Environment conservation officer in the outfitter's area. These guys know the condition of the deer herd and have no reason to not tell it like it is.

Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just remember that Sask. is a huge province. Just because the winter kill in some areas is high it doesn't not mean that it will be the case everywhere. I have hunted Sask several times and just booked again for 2012. This is by far my favorite hunting trip and look forward to it more than anyother trip i make. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. call everyone they provide. Search the net for outfitter reviews. There is always idiot people that will give a bad review if they didn't happen to score on the trip, but listen to what the reviews say. If there is a common thread through out the reviews then its probably true. It also pays, in my experience, to use a hunting consultant. You typically pay nothing for the service but get great info from them. I use Butch Manasse, but there are several good ones out there. Again, your hunt will be a direct result of how much work you put in doing research.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
Buckshot, would you mind telling us what outfitter you are booking with?
If you are returning, that is a great reference. How have you done in the past? If you want, drop me a PM.

·
Registered
156 Posts
pm sent...I really liked each of the outfits I hunted with so i won't put the negatives up on the public forum. Personally each outfitter was awesome, the negatives came from other aspects..prime rut week openings, trophy potential etc...Sometimes it takes going to a few to find a winner..its not cheap but its fun getting there!

·
Registered
156 Posts
i start with polar weight long johns that wick away moisture. Next is a layer of polar tech(sorta like thin fleece). I next wear a light weight fleece pullover jacket.

Cabelas stand hunter extreme bibs over all of that. I tuck the fleece jacket inside the bibs. I use a Cabelas dry-plus pullover jacket that is two sizes too big. Wool or berber neck gaiter and a fleece skull cap. In Sask you need a solid color jacket. I use a thin white cover jacket over top.

I wear polar weight socks that are not too bulky..you want some room in your boot for air to circulate. I wear pac boots w/ 1200gr thinsulate and the liner.

I use a thinner insulated shooting glove while on stand. My hands don't get too cold since I keep them in a muff. Bring along a waterproof insulted pair for the ride in and switch once on stand. You will thank me when your gloves get soaked on a snow mobile or 4 wheeler ride.

USE HOT HANDS!! each day, i will have two of the peel and stick hot hands packs on each of my shoulder blades, the toe warmers in each boot, and a pair of the hand sized ones in my muff. This set up has kept me nice and warm for several days with temps droping from -20F to -30F.

DON'T EVER GO CHEAP ON ANYTHING THAT KEEPS YOU WARM!!!! get the best gear you can afford when it comes to this stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts