The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Indian turnip is what I always called it also. those red berries when spotted off in a distance can fool ya just
as much as fools sang.

·
Registered
388 Posts
fools sang/false sang/sasparilla..........

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Everyone should taste Indian turnip at least once. While digging sang with a friend many years ago, I asked what this plant was. After hearing the word turnip I asked if they were edible. Yes he replied, he also said they were use medically by the Indians. Well, I had to try it.

Kinda like a thousand hot needles poking the tongue for a few minutes. He still has one coming his way someday. Lol

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
There's all KINDS of stuff that, from a few steps away, looks like ginseng..................

Virginia creeper, cinquefoil, hickory seedlings, black berry, wild sarsparilla.....................

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yes I agree on the many look alikes from a distance. the one that'll fool me the most is this one
I don't know the name of it. different leaf structure and it has a woody stem. I gave a coworker once
a ginseng plant to compare to when looking behind his house. he came in next day and said he
has tons of it,, ok. he didn't pick up on the way the leaflets are arranged. LOL he was disappointed.
First pic is ginseng.
Second is the one I get fooled by from a distance.
Third is a ginseng plant and fools growing side by side

Attachments

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Yep. Fool's 'seng........................... wild sarsaparilla.

Gitcha every time from 50 feet away. Made my heart jump then sink many, many times...............

1 - 15 of 15 Posts