The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about taking the kids down to the hook to do some surf fishing. They've never caught anything from the ocean and I know people don't target them, but I'm hearing that the dog bite is on. What kind of setup would I need for them? I've only ever caught them off a boat so surf fishing for them will be new to me but I know they'll enjoy getting on a few of them! Any help would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Dog bit is def on in south jersey. Was there yesterday. I Used my typical shark rig that includes wire leader because you never know if a sandbar or sand tiger is early. You can prob get by without a shock leader but their skin is plenty tough and their tails will whip through and fray/ break light mono or braid.

Use a basic fish finder rig, just enough weight to hold bottom and use cut bunker chunks about an inch wide or so. They were pounding bunker so I was rationing it. Could get three belly steaks, a tail and the head from the whole.

I used 10/0 and 8/0 octopus circle hooks.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Never targeted them but caugh many on the standard high low surf rig used for stripers..

·
Registered
904 Posts
Wampire, your PM box is full

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!! I'm hoping to get on some! Anything would be fun but I think they'd get a kick out of catching those

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
They should be out there. Got some hits on squid but bunker hits were so much faster. Got 3 in my first 4 casts. The first hit before I even had a chance to dial my drag as I was settling it into the sand spike. Make sure to use circle hooks. All 15 yesterday were hooked in mouth/ lip. Only gut hook was a pesty skate that I had to snip off a 3$ shark hook on.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm definitely going to use circle hooks, I have some 7/0 in my catfish bag but I'll pick up some bigger ones this week....I have 50lb braid on my catfish rods which are 9' so thats what I'll be taking...do you think I still need leaders for them? This whole surf fishing thing is all new to me lol

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
If you're fishing sandy hook the sandbar and sand tiger sharks aren't up there yet. Doggies don't have "teeth" so you'd prob be fine without wire. I go over kill and use full shark rig cuz south jersey should be getting toothy sharks in a week or so.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well no sharks but we got some sea robins and the kids thought that was great to! A guy down from us did get a dogfish tho so they ran down to check it out and now they cant wait to go again....we'll be in AC this coming wknd with my parents so I'll be putting the stuff in the car and hopefully be able to sneak away for a little

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Glad you got something to pull the lines for the kids. Farther south should get you more hookups earlier in the summer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts