The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figure this would be the place to post this as they are hunted in some places. Yesterday was a first for me. I was flintlock hunting and heard a raven croaking high overhead. I looked up and a raven was flying in formation behind three sandhill cranes headed due west.

I have never seen them migrating through SW pa. Any of you waterfowlers see sandhills? Any idea why the raven would be flying with sandhills?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I see that almost every year in some of the fields in Mercer and Crawford counties while driving around pheasant hunting.
Think they like open fields near marshy areas and maybe why you don’t see them in more wooded areas of the state.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Never saw any round here, but we chased them in ND when we used to go.
Cool sight!

Reactions: ruger300

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
I saw a few harvested on another forum. I bet they make some really big hot wings!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Sandhills are a common sight in Mercer and Crawford counties.

Just in the last two years have I seen them in SW Pa not in large numbers but have seen them. A pair of Sandhills hatched a chick in a friend of mines pasture and the PGC was monitoring it but after a couple weeks it disappeared and the thought was coyotes got it. Sandhills don't have large clutches of eggs like geese or ducks as the chick was the only little one the two mature Sandhills had. The Sandhills returned to that pasture this past spring but no chicks were observed.

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
....years ago they used to make the turkey gobble like crazy in the spring...used to love it when I'd hear them from a distance and getting closer....not so much shock gobbling now LOL

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Them noisy buggers are very plentiful where Jr and archery hunted the last 2 years, it is a 5k acer swamp.

·
Super Moderator
8,179 Posts
One scared the bejeebers outta me in Mercer last spring. It landed apparently quietly not far from me.....croaked or sqawked or whatever they do from maybe 30 yards away....when I turned to look at the commotion it took off very loudly.

I muttered a few choice words at that one....

Other than that, I've seen and heard them flying over Mercer in May when I've been out that way hunting turkeys.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Ravens and crows will follow or harass raptors but also just about any large bird at times

I understand in western PA the Sandhills are seen but here in eastern PA I don't think I've ever seen one.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I was up at Pymatuning Wednesday and saw more Sandhills than geese. They were everywhere!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts