The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colonel Sanders signed with the Broncs and it seems some are not happy about how it went down....

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Emmanuel Sanders' agent blasted for negotiating tactics in signing with Broncos </span>

By Eric Edholm

Free-agent wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders signed with the Denver Broncos, and a few teams are livid about the way his agent handled his courtship.

According to NFL.com, several teams believe agent Steve Weinberg pulled a few shady moves along the recruiting trail before going to Denver and they are not happy about it. One team official said Sanders' agent broke "every rule in negotiations."

First, the Kansas City Chiefs believed Sanders was signing with them, giving the team a verbal agreement on a deal. Then, Weinberg was accused of offering his client up to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, using the Chiefs' deal as leverage.

Later in the night, Weinberg agreed in principle with the Broncos. He also blew off a meeting with the San Francisco 49ers in the process.

Several reports suggested that the Broncos had no idea Weinberg had verbally agreed to another deal previously, but Denver still intended to sign Sanders to a three-year deal pending passing a physical. The signing became official Sunday.

Another NFL official told NFL.com, "This was one of the worst situations in modern football negotiations. Totally wrong. This needs to be stopped."

It almost was previously. Weinberg was recently reinstated by the NFL Players Association, which had barred and decertified him back in 2003 because Weinberg reportedly had diverted assets to an offshore account illegally during a dispute with a former partner of his. Weinberg in turn sued the NFLPA, claiming it illegally stripped him of certification for eight years, also seeking lost income.

Weinberg went from more than 40 clients when he was decertified to three who are currently in the NFL. He was recently reinstated, and Shutdown Corner texted four agents Sunday morning — all of whom said they were surprised that Weinberg was recertified after losing his credentials previously.

Sanders, a restriced free agent a year ago, re-signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers after the New England Patriots had signed him to an offer sheet in 2013. Sanders caught 67 passes for 760 yards and six touchdowns last season, his best in the NFL. Over his first four seasons, all with the Steelers, he caught 161 passes for 2,030 yards and 11 touchdowns.

The Broncos lost Eric Decker to the New York Jets in free agency and had been looking for a third receiver. Sanders, who is smaller and quicker than Decker, can fill that role for Peyton Manning in a different fashion than Decker did once the Sanders signing becomes official.

Technically what Weinberg did in negotiating a contract for Sanders was not illegal by NFL rules, as they had not signed a deal yet. But he broke several unwritten rules, and team officials are crying major foul.

"When a man gives you his words and pulls out," one executive told NFL.com, "then gives another team your word and pulls out, then gives another team his word ... Not proper."

</span>

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Let me make sure I get this straight....

A league that idolizes accused murderers, accused rapists, and men that kill entire families while driving dui, is upset because somebody didn't keep their "word" during negotiations. That is laughable.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I don't think the NFL itself cares a bit, but the general managers and personnel people are the ones who might be upset.

There are the written rules, and the unwritten rules. I imagine there is an understanding that when you reach a handshake deal with a team, you stop actively shopping the client or trying to leverage the handshake for a better deal elsewhere. I imagine all the legal mumbo-jumbo in any standard contract takes a while to get in order, so you shake on the deal to seal it and paperwork to follow.

Technically nothing illegal was done. But in the long run, teams will just stop dealing with this particular agent, as apparently he's been in some shady stuff before and obviously doesn't have a stable of All-Pro clients.

It's a business, and business has no feelings. It's cold and selfish. A player should try to get the best possible deal. But, I imagine there is a "way it works", like any other system (youth sports and college athletic scholarships to name another), and the guys/gals who violate the good ol' boy network won't last.

At least Denver can enjoy him catching a six-yard pass on third and four and celebrating like he just landed on the moon.

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
I won't miss him. Too inconsistent and too smsll. The more I think about it, I would really like the Steelers to take a tall reciever with the first pick in the draft. Ben is nearing the end of his career, give him as many weapons as possible.
After that we need a DE, ILB, corner, and anythng along the O line except center.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
steelhead125 said:
I won't miss him. Too inconsistent and too smsll. The more I think about it, I would really like the Steelers to take a tall reciever with the first pick in the draft. Ben is nearing the end of his career, give him as many weapons as possible.
After that we need a DE, ILB, corner, and anythng along the O line except center.
Mike Evans, Texas A & M. Evans is big, fast for his size and has good hands. (I do hope Derek Moye keeps a job, as far as big targets go.) Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State, would be a big-target, second round option.

In the first round I really look for them to go either with that Mike Evans OR C.J. Mosley- ILB Alabama OR Darqueze Dennard- CB MI State OR Eric Ebron- TE North Carolina. Depending on who's still available and what they feel their biggest need is.

Signing NT Cam Thomas in FE from the Chargers may move McClendon from NT. (I'm sure this move bummed out Aaron Donald- DT Pitt, ranked #2 in the draft at DT.) OR they may snag Carrington in FE from the Bills. I don't see Keisel returning unless he takes a cut like ike did and plans to share starts/downs.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I don't anticipate them drafting high at all at O-line. They've got 6 (Beachum, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert and Adams... Foster is 28 and the oldest OL by 2 years, 4 of these 6 were also either 1st or 2nd rd picks) under contract and have resigned 2 (Wallace (29) and Whimper (30) ) for 8 in total. Combine that with hiring Munchak as the OL coach and I think they'll be pretty good this year only get better after, up until Munchak leaves. Offensively I think they need a to sign a cheap vet WR for insurance if Cotchery has signed with another team before June 1 (when the cap room they gained cutting Woodley lose becomes available).

I take back them looking for a TE in anything above the 4th round, They've got 3 at the moment, technically they did have 4 near the end of last season once Miller returned- Miller, Spaeth, Paulson and Johnson (who also would act as a FB, he since signed w/ Chargers).

Signing Starks from the Packers really would've helped. RB and WR seem to be the only real areas of concern offensively.

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
I like the way yoou think Lyco. Still not sold on the O line though. Even though they did take alot of O lineman early in draft, it seems they may have missed on them. Gilbert and Adams have been terrible. Maybe the new O line coach will be able to get them on track.

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
James Harrison wants to rejoin Pittsburgh SteelersBy Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer
Published: March 17, 2014 at 10:09 p.m. Updated: March 17, 2014 at 10:59 p.m. Friend(s) Email Your Email Send Email By Chris Wesseling Jets growing desperate at cornerbackStarks reportedly cancels Steelers visit, to re-sign with PackersMore Columns >

Now that he's free to sign with any team, veteran linebacker James Harrison hinted Monday that he has his eye on a return to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Free-Agent Tracker
Follow all the developments on the NFL's open market with our up-to-the-minute tracking of 2014's free agents. More...
Harrison appeared on "NFL Total Access" with Dan Hellie and Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor to discuss the franchise's legendary teams for "Dynasty Week."

When Hellie asked where Harrison wants to play this season, Taylor immediately jumped in with "Pittsburgh."

Harrison's response: "Everybody knows that."

With LaMarr Woodley out of the picture, the Steelers could use Harrison as insurance for 2013 first-round draft pick Jarvis Jones.

Training in Arizona, Harrison said he's going to "go until the wheels fall off" or "until nobody want to put wheels on it."

"If nothing happens, then so be it," Harrison continued. "I got two rings. I got a bunch of relationships, teammates, former teammates that are still good friends."

Harrison, 36 in May, understands he's reached the stage of his career where decisions might be made for him.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Supposedly Lance Moore (WR Saints) is in Pittsburgh today, mark Starks off- just resigned by Packers.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Danesdad said:
I wouldn't take Harrison back unless he came super cheap.
Harrison might figure out that the veteran minimum plus a modest signing bonus plus some incentives is still one heckuva lot better than what most of us can pull in during our best year, eh?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts