The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always have a bias to assume a buck dies or disappears but in this case I’m not sure. He is a philly suburb buck that I had named the big 9 in 2017. He returned (you can be the judge) in 2018 but then never showed up in 2019. However I just got this picture for 2020. So first pic is 2017, then 2018, then 2020. F64465ED-D223-4882-9228-84A94515B01A.jpeg 7A18E0E4-DADD-46C4-89BA-FE358860C42A.png 06694AA2-F687-4789-9DA7-291DBCE41D35.jpeg

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Hard to say without a defining palmation or split tines somewhere. Would need better pics to determine that's for sure.

I'm like you though. I seldom see any mature bucks in the following year, though it did happen last year.
So you may be lucky in that regard for a change.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It could be, but chances would be slim
Normally I would agree. However, this is lower 5C in special regs. He can easily hide out in someone’s back yard all his life. The left antler is so similar and I’ll try to get some better pictures so compare. But I do agree it’s impossible to really say but he has a very wide and impressive 5x5 frame this year.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm fairly confident you got the same buck there. First I checked to see if it would even make sense by looking at body size increase. That buck is definitely much bigger now than in 2017. I'd say 5.5-6.5yo. Then check out his big fork on right side. Same from 2018 to 2020. Right main beam carries the same slight swoop upwards and inwards look comparing 2017 to 2020 and on his left side the points are mostly flat across just like in the years prior. I'd say 90% chance it's him.\

I've kept tabs on over 10 buck over the course of many years on my property. I've gotten quite good at locating the same bucks from year to year and have an inventory of stored photos to compare.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I always like to see ear notches or different facial or body coloring. But that is rare as well.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Normally I would agree. However, this is lower 5C in special regs. He can easily hide out in someone’s back yard all his life. The left antler is so similar and I’ll try to get some better pictures so compare. But I do agree it’s impossible to really say but he has a very wide and impressive 5x5 frame this year.
Ya I guess could be then. I think of cars, predators, hunters but I guess that buck might not have those problems. Either way that is a heck of a buck this year, I hope you get it!

·
Registered
283 Posts
The picture of the picture on your screen doesn't exactly make it clear.😉 Maybe if you attached the original pics to the post, we could make a better comparison.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts