The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many times have used the same arrow to take a deer with? Just got done washing my arrow off,will change the baldes and put the bow away for the year.I have used it twice this year to take a buck & a doe.I put a new broadhead on after I shot my buck,but I believe I can get away with just changing the blades this time.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Check it close for cracks. I was using the same one going on three deer but noticed a few stress cracks so I retired it.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Got one thats been in a buck in 09 and through a turkey this year...got another thats been through a buck in 07...sending one of those arrows through a buck tomorrow i hope!!!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
I had one arrow that took 5 deer. The fifth one hit the offside shoulder and the buck snapped it when he took off. My current arrow has two deer under its belt.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I'll kill as many deer with the same arrow as I can until it breaks or is lost. If the broadhead is salvageable, I'll shapen or replace the blades and shoot it again. I'll be buying a pack of ramcat blades as soon as I get home from Ohio. Those ferrules are rock solid.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Back when aluminum was all the rage I used the same arrow to kill three bucks in three years. The third one bent it though and ended the streak.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
I make sure the ferrule isnt bent and change the blades...or throw a new head on..

Ive sharpened grizz trick blades only because i have ferrules and good, but dull blades if shot foam with and they dont make replacements anymore...but typically swap em out..

Shooting a dull broadhead is a bad idea....you want those blades as sharp.as.possible so they cut every blood vessel and everything else it comes in contact with....

·
Registered
505 Posts
I shot 7 deer with the same arrow last year. Same slick trick furrule everytime. Gold tip pro hunter shaft

·
Registered
211 Posts
I buy 6 use 3 of em for target practice an same 3 hunting others i put in case so i have em. an i shoot a ton into my 3d an black hole everyday, an used the same arrow an rage to kill a doe an a buck carbon Xpress mayham 350'S very tuff reliable arrows..

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I've had a few arrows go as many as 6-7 deer. Two years ago was tuff on my shafts harvested ten deer and every one broke my arrows. Put an end to a few of my high deer count arrows. I enjoy keeping a letter k written on the vanes with a sharpie so I can keep track. Currently I have 4 arrows out of five in the quiver that have kills on them. One of them has two from this year. You pay so much for arrows so I squeeze as much use out of my shafts as possible. A thorough inspection and back in the quiver.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I guess I'm the exception. I never reuse an arrow or broadhead after a kill. Not really a superstition, but I always "retire" an arrow after it does its job. That being said, I don't kill in big numbers so the expense isnt an issue. Some of you guys would have a big pile of one and done arrows and an empty wallet.

V

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I've shot 11 deer with the same arrow in two diff. states over two seasons, diff. broadhead each time, until #11 finally rolled on it. I was shooting "hybred" arrows, Easton ACC's. They are the toughest and best arrows I've ever shot period. When I'm done with the 20 regular carbons I have now I'm taking the leap and going back to ACC's. Even if they are $150/doz. for bare shafts. They are worth it in my book. Now to save some money awhile. LOL

·
Registered
360 Posts
I never use the same arrow or broadhead. I write the date of the kill on the arrow with a magic marker and store them in a box.

·
Registered
245 Posts
As long as it passes the flex test and a cotton ball test I will keep using it. I'll inspect the broadhead for damage and rehone it or replace the blades (Shuttle T's) if the edge is pretty bad.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had one that I harvest two seven points with, one in 2008 and one in 2010. I'm a little slow on the Blazer vane trend (still shooting 4" feathers) so I had to re-fletch it between deer.
Will inspect the broadheads very closely for damage or dullness. I usually end up replacing the blades even if it passes my inspection.
Next year I am getting all my arrows re-fletched with Blazers. I will start keeping track on the vanes. Hopefully they'll fill up quick!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
The arrow only gets retired if it goes through a buck. But the broadhead gets reused as long as the ferrule and blades have no signs of damage. Using Grizz Tricks and resharpening the blades are pretty easy.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Will use the same arrow but never the same broad head. I wont take a chance on there being something wrong i didn't see.

·
Super Moderator
12,646 Posts
Shot three bucks and a bear with the same 2413 arrow old #2 and used the same broad head for two of the bucks then lost track of the broad head, but it is still in my arsenal and may have bee used again??

Number five arrow did the job yesterday on a 10 pointer at 54 lbs it entered the from of the front of the chest cavity just behind the front left leg and exited the other side in the liver area. The Thunderhead 125 does not show a nick or any sign of hitting anything and it is still relative sharp...and the arrow is still straight...a couple of hits on the sharpen tool and it is ready for the OHIO hunt. Oh and I guess I will have to clean the blood off the arrow and fetching for a test fire.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts