The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will apply to anyone that fishes for saltwater striper's, even in the bays and anyone fishing from a private boat more then 3 miles off the beach.

Saltwater Registry information

By Al Ristori
December 07, 2009, 12:48PM

Saltwater Registry Information

The NJ DEP Division of Fish and Wildlife reminds saltwater anglers that the federal government's National Saltwater Angler Registry Program requires most New Jersey saltwater anglers to register prior to fishing in 2010.

You must register if you*

* Fish for or catch anadromous species (striped bass, shad, river herring) in state tidal waters
* Fish in Federal waters (more than 3 miles from shore)

You do not have to register if you*

* Are under 16 years of age
* Only fish on federally licensed party or charter boats
* Hold a Highly Migratory Species Angling Permit

Online and telephone registration will begin January 1, 2010. Register online at http://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov or call toll free 888-674-7411.

Registration is free in 2010.
Sounds like after they get everyone to register 2011 will have a fee attached, followed by an increased fee for 2012.
Guess these fees will go to subsidize the commercial fishery.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Like everything else.... I'm sure somewhere down the road they will be wanting your hard earned dollar's.... Did mine today.... Otherwise I'll forget.....

·
Registered
20,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Saltwater Registry information (update)

I didn't notice this little bit of information before but when I registered I read the FAQ and there it was...
<span style='font-size: 14pt'>9. How much will registration cost in 2011?

The fee for registering in 2011 has not been established yet, but NOAA estimates it will cost between $15 and $25.</span>

·
Registered
180 Posts

Registered on Jan 1st and printed out the temporary license.
Your covered if you go on charter and party boats without one but you just never know.
Until I saw this I didn't hear about a fee and definitely not expecting one as soon as next year.
The fee is't going to keep anyone with a boat from getting them but I don't think its right that everybody fishing from the boat needs one either.
So you mean if my father or brother that come down one time a summer to go out fishing on my boat need to apply for a license too?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts

just a matter of time its already going on in the South

·
Registered
69 Posts

New Jersey, NY, Connecticut have implemented salt licenses... There will be reciprocity but the non resident fees are ridiculous for a few visits each year.
My question is; are there any provisions for lower fee schedules for seniors?

·
Registered
20,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

This registry is federal and as of yet New Jersey does not have a salt water license. This is even going to apply to guys fishing shad, heron or striper's in the Delaware River.

·
Registered
69 Posts

doogie67 said:
Unless something is wrong, my out of state NY license was only $15.
Is there a discount for seniors?
What is the site where I can look it up?

Thnx
Mike

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

Not a senior.
I went to the New York state department of conservation automated licensing system online.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts

If caught fishing without registering there is a pretty stiff fine associated... I just registered. I'm going down next weekend, so I'll be safe. I doubt I'd ever be checked where I go fishing, but better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
6,032 Posts

Now that I reread that.... does this count for surf fishing as well?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts