The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Salsa Recipe

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  bobby2bears 
#1 ·
Anyone have a good salsa recipe that they use?

I decided I wanted to try to make our own salsa this year and there are a million recipes out there

#2 ·
I started last year making salsa....

I did not and will not follow a recipe....

You might be better off doing the same, you can make it to your taste, not someone elses recipe!

All I do was take all different kinds of tomatoes and boil them till they were nice and soft, then ran them thru a wire strainer so I removed the skins and seeds....I then take big boy tomatoes and par boil them to remove skin and chunk them up and add to the tomatoe juice so I have chunks of tomatoes, then I used that juice/tomatoe mix and cut up green peppers, sweet bananna peppers, hot peppers(start out with just 1), onions and garlic and mixed those into the tomatoe juice then start cooking them and add salt and pepper to taste...every once in awhile, while the salsa is cooking, I taste it, add what I feel needs added, if it was not hot enough, I add another diced up hot peppers, if not enough onion flavor, dice up another onion and add it, not enough green and sweet peppers, add more, Ect....

Then, after it tastes just right, I let it simmer at a low temp till it gets Thick, then ladle into canning jars and put the lids on and boil those for maybe 10 minutes and then let cool to seal....many people like the taste of what I make....last year I had a guy who after tasting the first batch wanted 2-1 gallon jars of it...he paid me $50.00 for each jar!

All that I used came straight out of the garden!

Salsa isn't hard to make, all you have to do is cook it and add what YOU like in it and cook it till it is as thick as you like it!

#3 ·
thats actually good advice woody. I have been lookin at recipes for a while and for whatever reason I get bored reading them. So I thought about just boilin the peels off my tomatoes and adding peppers cilantra onions etc til I liked it.

#4 ·
It is 1 of those things were you really do not need a recipe for....

If you like it with alot of green peppers, you add many of them...if you like it with more tomatoes then anything else, you add more of them...if you like salsa that tastes like Vinager(my 1 buddy likes his that way, I do not) add apple cider vinager.....

I don't like Cilantro, so I do not add it to mine, I don't like to give out secrets on some things, but I add a few more things to mine that is used normally every day by most, I just watch how much I add!

You really can not go wrong with something like this!

Heck, you could even mix things up and taste it before cooking and tell by tasting if you need anything added or not.....I have a buddy who's wife makes home made Salsa, she only makes enough to last a few days and does not cook her's....she just tastes it and adds what she feels needs added, Everything is grown in thier garden.... she keeps it in the fridge till it is all eaten....nice crunch to the peppers and onions, Tastes VERY GOOD but for some reason, I can not eat Raw Green or Sweet Peppers, Hot, Yes, Sweet and green peppers, No, they make me feel like I got the worst Stomach Ache in the world, so I make sure I always cook mine....and every once in awhile, I eat some made by my Buddy's wife because it tastes so dang good and then pay for it about 2 hours later!

#6 ·
Pineapple Salsa

2 cans pineapple chunks drained
1 jalapeno cored seeded
1 red bell pepper cored seeded
1 lime-rolled, cut and squeezed
1 sprig fresh cilantro
pinch of salt
few twists of black pepper
1 tablespoon of ex virgin olive oil

toss all ingredients into a processor,
serve over grilled fish or with chips

#7 ·
I use 5-10 red ripe never chilled tomatoes for peak flavor. Then I add 2-4 jalapenos seeds removed. The juice from 1 or 2 limes and a bunch of Spring onions finely sliced. Salt to taste, a little garlic powder, some Tabasco to taste and about 1/2 cup of flat leafed (it is a lot milder than cilantro) parsley chopped really fine. The mixture has to marry overnight in the fridge to bring out all of the flavor but wow it gets good! Some people like it with green peppers and celery but I like to keep it simple. It will keep for a week or two if it lasts that long. I like it over a baked potato with a little sour cream!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.