The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Salmon River (NY)

Is it too soon to start this? lol. I'm chomping at the bit to get up there when they start running. been tying flies and have about 50 more to go until I feel I have enough.

Reports from the lake have been way better this year than the two previous. Talk to a few of my connections that live in Pulaski and they confirmed that the fishing is waaaaaaayyy better than last year.

when are you all going up and where are you guys fishing?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Salmon River (NY)

I hear ya TT but fishing the DSR eliminates the "combat" fishing for sure. It's costly but worth it.

as far as the last two years go, we had to work for our fish but it's always fun on the salmon river. when most guys packed it in for the day, we stayed an eventually caught fish. One day, we had two hours of hook up after hook up and were the only ones on the water last year.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts

I looked it up and it is expensive. It's already kind of expensive to go up there in the first place; mileage, hotel room, food, and a NY license. I saw on the fee schedule the number of rods allowed on the stream per day. You might have a day where you have little competition, but then again, you might not. I don't think I will be trying it.

·
Registered
18,622 Posts

I will be there as soon as the fish enter the river. I usually just run up for the day. I can make the river in about 2 1/2 hours from my house. Definitely hoping for more fish this season. I caught fish every trip up last year but really had to work for them.

·
Registered
100 Posts

A salmon season with nothing but low water is brutal on the fish and fishermen. I am tying flies like crazy and already have plans to be there 5 days in late September and 5 days at the end of October for chrome. Probably add another day here and there as time permits. May head up for Labor Day Weekend if they get enough rain to actually do the scheduled whitewater release........DSR here I come!

·
Registered
572 Posts

Finally ditched the guy who always made us go the first weekend in oct and now 3 of us are headed up the 3rd. My first time was the major run 4 years ago been skunked ever since. Must say there is quite the learning curve and I certainly got spoiled by my first experience. SOOO many hookups and only landed 1 but man was it fun. After a couple years and running into some pretty sweet locals who took pity on us the last two years I am finally feeling confident that I can bring home some fish.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

There are major problems regarding the Fishery up there...

Forage base in lake is collapsing, past overstocking activities by DEC is now rearing its ugly head...

Too much tinkering by the so-called experts.....

The Disneyworld of Salmon Fishing may never be the same...

Ma Nature for the Win....

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

well, considering it's been a solid fishery for over 40 years, those so called experts are doing something right or just awful lucky.

Harsh Winters and lake ice play a major factor in alewife populations (salmon main source of prey). It's simply a minor adjustment to reduce the number of stocked salmon fry over the next three years.

The professionals will figure it out. TOo much money on the line. Salmon fishing in the big pond aint going anywhere anytime soon. Tight lines.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts

Was just up fishing the lake a week ago. No shortage of Alewife on the sonar that weekend!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

that's great news! The meeting that the biologist had last week said that alewife's in the 1-2 year class are non existent in the lake. So all the salmon are feeding on 3-5 year fish.

I believe they're expecting a crash in both salmon populations and elwives similar to Lake Michigan in two years if action is not taken. trying to reduce a "crash". In any case, I hope they follow Lake Michigan and stock more Steel since they do not feed on elwifes.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Reports have been consistent..... Talked to a bunch of resources and the fishing was a lot better than last two year (in July). Then weather moved in and pushed fish north and west. Even during the fish and game meeting last week, the biologist said that the Canadian charters have been doing really well and catching and all age classes too including fish that will return this year.

My prediction .....better than last two years. But that's not hard to beat.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts