The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
It should get you pumped. That means you could start catching them anytime now. The anticipation makes it all the sweeter when it comes.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
beagler said:
Anybody hear how they are doing in the lake?
Heard from 2 different sources that the lake fishing has been pretty good with numerous bigger fish showing up in the catch. Heading up in 3 weeks...

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Me too 35Whelan! Fishing with Captain Dave Wilson. Was up in May for browns and the fishing wasn't all that good. Still a great day on the lake though. Good luck!

·
Registered
110 Posts
The lake has been fishing pretty good. this was 2 weeks ago out of Port Ontario. 2nd fish from the right was 25.15 lbs. took tenth place in the summer LOC derby. our wives had a blast. They are getting close. I'll be heading up for the season in a week or so to get the house cleaned up for guests.

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
I just texted a friend who fishes alot of the big money tournaments in the lake. He said they have been doing poorly, many of the boats bringing in few catches. He said the largest fish they boated so far this season was 28lbs. He's been fishing the lake a long time and has won some big money contests.
I just hope the run isn't a repeat of last season's.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
big28hunter said:
Me too 35Whelan! Fishing with Captain Dave Wilson. Was up in May for browns and the fishing wasn't all that good. Still a great day on the lake though. Good luck!
Eddie Spaghetti, myself and a cousin of mine will be up there Aug. 28.29,30 if anyone wants to meet up for a few cold ones. I'm taking my boat up but curently not sure where we will fish out of. Either Oswego or Mexico, depending where the fish are, I guess. Anyone looking for a great place to stay, call Bill of Lucky Dutchman charters. He runs Feeder Creek Lodge. He built a small cabin this year to accomodate families or couples.

·
Registered
301 Posts
this is right from the website

FISHING REPORT 9 AUGUST 2015
8/9/2015

the salmon are coming in

there have been three (very) credible reports of sightings of Chinook Salmon making their way into the river these past few days

a River Patrol employee reported sighting a large salmon making its way upriver at the short bridge in Pulaski

this past Friday a Seasonal Pass Holder reported hearing what sounded like a deer thrashing through the water while crossing the river, in the very lower part of the river, and upon investigation discovered a King moving up the river

one of our guides, while fishing, witnessed Kings moving up in a small pod

somewhat early, probably not a lot of salmon, but beginning this week is when we typically look for pods of salmon to start their journey upriver and (as you know) it only builds up from there

you may want to plan a trip to the DSR to take advantage of the relative lack of crowds at this time and the fairly good possibility of hooking into fresh, untouched fish

·
Registered
356 Posts
From what I understand, the site owner got involved in another project and lost interest in the site. To keep the community together, another site was opened and many of the good members have followed. Site is called SalmonTime click to check it out.

·
Registered
663 Posts
This is from the Yankee Angler Fishing Report:

"I would say there are more this year. It improves everyday.
We have been getting a mix of year classes.
Kings and steelhead are here big time off the Salmon River.
An incredible day of fishing on the lake. It has been very good for a couple of weeks now but today, lots more fish. Big numbers of Salmon and Steelhead are now set up in front of the Salmon River over deep water.(FYI - These post's were all backed up by credible Fish Pic's from that day)

After glancing at 15 Lake Ontario Charter Boat Capt.'s web pages, they all had a bunch of nice BIG King Salmon being held up for the camera. Also Browns and Steelhead.

The Capt.'s. are seeing more Salmon entering the Eastern Basin of Lake O. Pretty soon they'll be in the River!"

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I am always a little cautious when reading favorable fishing reports from commercial establishments since they are in the business of making money with the influx of fisherman.
When those reports are corroborated with regular folks like you and me, then my anticipation picks up speed.
Back in 2012 there was no doubt the run was on. This forum and others like it lit up like a Christmas tree.
Got to love the inner web ....

·
Registered
301 Posts
i agree I do look forward to some of the shops reports but I prefer actual fishing reports from the average guy that just got back from the river shouldn't be long though I pray to the fish gods that it will be better then last year

·
Registered
663 Posts
no doubt. However, it's a small community and last year the reports were dismal. If they're lying, it gets around pretty quick. I'm not saying they don't stretch the truth (haha). I'm optimistic either way as the reports have been pretty consistent...fish are showing up and getting better!

1 - 20 of 148 Posts