The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to try salmon fishing this fall. My question is what would be a good spinning rod and reel set up? Would a 9 foot med action rod be heavy enough with 12 pound test, As far as live bait minnows and worms ? Spinners I’m sure would also be an option. Any other info would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I’ve never fished for salmon there so I can’t be any help. If Oak Orchard is closed to fishing the Salmon River might be too. Better make sure it’s open before you go.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Oak Orchard is not closed to fishing at all. Thr Archers Club closed access to their private pavilions, driveway and other property other than the being allowed to fish thr river thru their property as long as one stays along the banks. It all sounded hokie to me as I didn't think the river itself was shut down so I looked it up. I don't even fish it. www.fishoakorchard.com/stream-conditions/

I'll almost guarantee Salmon River isn't closed either. Some private property areas might be but they're not shutting the river down.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Oak Orchard is not closed to fishing at all. The Archers Club closed access to their private pavilions, driveway and other property other than the being allowed to fish the river through their property as long as one stays along the banks. It all sounded hokey to me as I didn't think the river itself was shut down so I looked it up. I don't even fish it. www.fishoakorchard.com/stream-conditions/

I'll almost guarantee Salmon River isn't closed either. Some private property areas might be but they're not shutting the river down.
That’s good. There was a thread on here earlier that mentioned possibly closing Oak Orchard.

I have no intention of fishing either place, but I’m glad they’re not closed.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Hi Rem,
I only fish the SR so I can comment on that for ya.
The SR is open to fishing with the stipulation that if you come from a state that is listed to be a covid-19 hot spot you must quarantine for 14 days.
PA is currently NOT on that list.
As far as your tackle goes, that rod and line type should be fine for that set up. Make sure your real has a good and I mean good drag,
The SR will run anywhere from 180 to 5000 with the later being flood stage.
Normal water levels are anywhere between 180 to say 500 during the Salmon run.
Leader size below your main line will have to change based on water level and clarity.
Those Salmon do get line shy.
The baits you stipulated may not work as Salmon in the SR at that time are in breeding mode and are not actively feeding per say.
I would not be remiss if I said that 99% of the people "fishing" for them are snagging or flossing the fish to be blunt.
A plug run near a bed may cause a fish to strike out of anger but that the extent of "biting"...
There are plenty of YouTube videos on the Salmon River, watch a few to get the jist of the fishing style up there.
I was just up there on the 24th for a visit and lake trip and the river is scary low, probably the lowest I have seen it in all the years I have fished it. They are getting absolutely no rain from any of the systems coming up the coast or across the Canadian border.
The fish are still is very deep water in the lake.
It may end up being a bad run this year unless there is significant rain event with a lot colder temps. If not fishing will be the proverbial" in a barrel" with fish only being in the deeper holes with hundreds of people surrounding that hole... Not fun unless you like maham with a spotty fight or two between fisherman.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Almost forgot, if you are using spinners, they must be a single hook, NO trebles....
If you find your way down by the Estuary you may have some luck with a spinner.
Spoons are more popular though...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info after reading a little more I found out about the single hook for spinners everything else was helpful thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Low water or not going to head up this weekend. Crowds and low water make it less fun, but it's when I have time.

Going to run a lighter setup than normal. 12 main, 8 leader. Bought a pound of smaller shot as well.

Maybe the cold front will push in the coho?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Low water or not going to head up this weekend. Crowds and low water make it less fun, but it's when I have time.

Going to run a lighter setup than normal. 12 main, 8 leader. Bought a pound of smaller shot as well.

Maybe the cold front will push in the coho?
I know nothing about salmon fishing but I would think that rain would be needed to bring them into the river.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Rain helps for sure! The river is controlled by a dam. The dam has to allow so much water out for the fish.
Temp in the lake and river plays a big role. Often the lake "blows" and it pushes cold water inshore and the fish follow it. They are then trapped out of temp and will run the river.

But increased flow from rain or the dam and the colder water from both are the main drivers.

You want to fish near the lake right after the rain. It can be INSANE fishing. Literally 1000's of fish blowing up river. I've had days that when I would bet a fish several others would end up on it.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Received a report today from my brother who went up and the river is very low, mass amounts of people circled around every deep pool that still exists.
We are both seasoned SR guys whom have been going up for Salmon and Steel Head for 30 years combined..
He walked several miles today and saw only a few fish.
He ended up getting a day pass at the DSR and got into a few fresh ones, landing 1 this morning.
As soon as the sun gets up, the fish stop moving upstream and any fish in the river hold tight in the deeper holes till night fall.
Not a good season thus far.
They need rain and a lot of it.
The reservoir is at an all time low. Some locals report it being as low as 10'-0" below normal.
The river is at 185 right now with assumptions that the dam release close further and will drop the river flow down to 110 in the near future.
The lower fly zone is closed till 10-31-20 with speculation that it will be closed indefinitely to give fish that run the river at night some place to rest without being harassed.
Definitely NOT worth the trip and expense this year...

·
Registered
18,426 Posts
I fished last Saturday, no good. Like eight point said, no water, more fishermen than fish. No rain in the forecast whatsoever either. They estimated that if substantial rainfall doesn't occur the res could be bone dry in 30 days. On a more positive note I received word yesterday that there are a ton of fish staging in the estuary waiting to run. Water or no water they have to come sooner or later. I was debating on taking a trip up tomorrow but I may wait til the following weekend.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
From what I understand, the salmon don’t feed once they reach the tribs. Is that the case? Do they strike out of annoyance? I know that snagging them is illegal, as it should be.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
From what I understand, the salmon don’t feed once they reach the tribs. Is that the case? Do they strike out of annoyance? I know that snagging them is illegal, as it should be.
Correct, they do not feed while on their spawning run up river and instead strike out of aggressiveness or primal instinct.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Always worth going! You never know what might happen. I've had trips where I've hooked hundreds and a few I've only hooked a handful. It's like going to deer camp.

Leaving in a bit. I'll post a report Saturday.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Correct, they do not feed while on their spawning run up river and instead strike out of aggressiveness or primal instinct.
Fair enough. I’m glad that snagging them isn’t legal anymore. That’s not fishing.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Fished top of DSR at first light, saw 3 fish. Probably 60 guys, zero hookups. Went above town for 2 hours, landed one coho. Only fish I saw swimming, did see a king and coho on a stringer.

Slow and low. Lots of guys, most done fishing already.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Fair enough. I’m glad that snagging them isn’t legal anymore. That’s not fishing.
I should clarify that the salmon (and brown trout) aren't actively feeding on their fall spawning run but the steelhead that follow them upriver are. Most of the steelhead are in the river in the fall to feed on eggs.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I should clarify that the salmon (and brown trout) aren't actively feeding on their fall spawning run but the steelhead that follow them upriver are. Most of the steelhead are in the river in the fall to feed on eggs.
I did know that. Steelhead are spring spawners.

I also know that the Great Lakes salmon die after spawning.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts