The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has experience with Salmon Creek near Marienville,PA...I fished there years ago and was thinking of returning for a camp/fish trip for the weekend trout opener . any knowledge/prior experiences/ or exaggerated fish stories would be great !

·
Super Moderator
4,603 Posts
Crowded....We usually do the first weekend, but never really got out til afternoon which wasnt as bad, still crowded...Last year we went up the 3rd weekend and it was alot better crowd wise, caught some fish also...gonna do that again this year! If you plan on camping out in tents, better get there Tuesday before the opener!

·
Registered
570 Posts
It gets real crowded on the opener. Fished it last year the first weekend in may, not to crowded. Plenty of fish left too.

·
Registered
237 Posts
About 20 years ago on the opener the bridge was out and you had to walk in. I bet I caught 200 trout. Every time we go there, we always talk about that day. We don't fish it much anymore. If you have not been there for years, they put in a lot of gas wells.

·
20,166 Posts
That place must be stupid popular cause this post comes up twice a season. I'd would rate it as one of the popular and well heard of streams in the state. Pretty place though and I've fished it and caught trout htere......never on the opener though.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Fished it many many times, and once on the opener. There are spots where the forest roads goes high up the mountain, way up from the creek. Hike in to those spots to find some solitude. You be amazed how those trout will travel from where theyre dumped in at! That being said, I do believe they stock it the thursday before the opener so that may not give them time to get into the remote stretches.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well thanks for the advice !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts