The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SAKO M995 TRG-S .338 Lapua Mag w/muzzle brake. I am trying to find its value. It was purchased in 2002 and less than 150 rounds through it. I’ve contacted two local dealers and both told me that the gun is not available in United States. Any info on how/where I could find the guns value would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I know that Kinsey's had one for sale a few years ago and their price was $650 NIB.

I know one thing, I wouldn't want a 338LM in that TRG-S light rifle. I couldn't even imagine the recoil on that light contoured barrel.

I owned a Sako TRG 42 in 338LM and with the Sako brake, the recoil was very light.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
To the average hunter in PA, nothing ! It's very specialized and everything about it is expensive, you really must have a real need for it, ultra long range killing and steel banging are about it. It's used in yardages way past 1000 by those who have one and they are a step above the monster .30's in that department... It's in the same boat as all the cartridges created to try to boost sales, not much interest among the mass of hunters/shooters !

·
Registered
692 Posts
I would disagree with you about it being a 1,000 yard rifle as it's a hunting rig and not an ELR rig. My TRG 42 was designed for ELR shooting...the TRG-S is a light weight hunting rig. The problem is the barrel profile is too thin to thread it for a brake/suppressor.

To the average hunter in PA, nothing ! It's very specialized and everything about it is expensive, you really must have a real need for it, ultra long range killing and steel banging are about it. It's used in yardages way past 1000 by those who have one and they are a step above the monster .30's in that department... It's in the same boat as all the cartridges created to try to boost sales, not much interest among the mass of hunters/shooters !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would disagree with you about it being a 1,000 yard rifle as it's a hunting rig and not an ELR rig. My TRG 42 was designed for ELR shooting...the TRG-S is a light weight hunting rig. The problem is the barrel profile is too thin to thread it for a brake/suppressor.
Actually, I did have a brake installed. I used the gun for an elk hunt in Utah last fall. Practiced at the range up to 600 yards. Ended up getting my elk at 200 yards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts