The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sako Hunter in .270 Win. Bought it about a week before I got married back in '88. Very accurate, but I have not carried it for a few years. Took it to the range and could not get any kind of groups out of it, it had been the closest thing I every owned to a "one hole'r". I was cleaning it tonight and noticed the barrel and action is sliding back and forth about 1/8" in the stock. What kind of tool do I need to tighten the action to the stock on a SAKO?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Sliding 1/8" is unusual. That means there is a gap between wood and metal, most likely at the recoil lug. A glass bedding job should cure the problem.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
It sshould never do that. 1/8 is a lot of play, enough to shatter your stock when you fire.

You need to closelyinspect the action and the stock....something is very wrong. Stock fractured/cracked? maybe the recoil lug is bent?

Plastic or wood stock? Are the screws thru the bottom all tight?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has a beautiful wood stock. Nothing appears to be loose or cracked. I have no fired the rifle in a few years. I guess I'll take a trip to the local gunsmith shop.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
good start. wood can shrink and the stock maybe can't be tighten. as stool shooter said, a lot of stock/action fit can be fixed with glass. If you get it done, you might consider floating the barrel at the same time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts