The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plan on buying a Sako 85 hunter. Leaning toward a 260 but like the shorter barrel length ofered in the 08. 20 inch and some compared to 22 and some change in the 260. Will be hand loading for either I get. Looking for pro and cons of each calibur. Any input on making my descision would be helpful. Thanks in advance. Will be a Pennsylvania deer rifle

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Either caliber would be a fine choice,I guess it would come down to bbl length for your choice....I wouldn't be afraid to use either personally.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would say one of each! That way you know you'll be happy!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm partial to the 260 if you handload. Lots of bullet choices. No big deal to chop a barrel a few inches and have it recrowned if you want it shorter.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Either caliber would be a good choice and a couple if inches of bbl length you probably won't notice when hunting. I shoot both calibers but the one I reach for most often is the 260. I hand load the 125 gr Nosler Partition, slightly hotter than factory (tighter groups in my rifle) and have had nothing but one shot kills, droping deer in their tracks.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Getting the 260. Couldnt find the 7mm-08 anyways... Found a Sako 85 Hunter for 1200 bucks New. Hope that is a fair price... I wanted the 260 and a couple inches shouldnt matter in length. thanks for help

·
Registered
483 Posts
I will say this..I bought a 260 when it came out in 1997. I havent looked back one time. I have killed 5 deer with that gun two bucks and 3 does. One ran 25 yards...The rest went down on the spot. I have a buddy handload nossler partitions and everything I shoot with it drops.

I killed a really really nice buck this year...Dressed out at 165lbs...I hit that big boy at 40 yards and he just balled up on the shot.( Check my post history I have a pic of him on here) Hardly even kicked. I did the same thing with an eight point two years ago. Everything I shoot with that gun just seems to fall on the spot. ( Note before that gun I had a 30-06 and I shot two bucks and doe and everyone ran 35+ yards)

The 260 packs quite a punch with little kick. I dont have a 7mm -08 so I cant compare but at this stage why would I get one since my 260 does all I ask and more.

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
My 18.5" barreled Remmy 788 shoots very well w/ handloads....Quite a number of PA whitetails got lead poisoning from it....

The 260 following really like that caliper....

Best luck w/ whatever final choice you make.... <span style='font-family: Arial Black'> </span>

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Do the .260 imo, I have a 6.5 Creedmoor and both are very close like brothers. I've yet to harvest game with it for it's still in buildin stage's. Would love havein another .264 guy to chew the fat with....later

·
Registered
187 Posts
ruger1v said:
Getting the 260. Couldnt find the 7mm-08 anyways... Found a Sako 85 Hunter for 1200 bucks New. Hope that is a fair price... I wanted the 260 and a couple inches shouldnt matter in length. thanks for help
Ya done good. That's good price and the Sakos in 260 are rare as hen's teeth. Beretta is no longer importing 260s.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I have both the .260 and 7mm-08 barrels for my Encore. Both great rounds but I always carry the .260 for deer. Great performance, less recoil. You made a great choice...enjoy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts