The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had to put down our 13.5 year old Lab on Saturday. Extremely tough but I know he is not feeling any pain now. Major had a great life. I made him a steak dinner on Friday with all the trimmings. Saturday morning we all had bacon and eggs. He had lots of treats as well. I also figured what the heck and gave him a large chocolate bar on the way to the vet. We are having him cremated. I included a couple pictures of him in his favorite place until he was too weak to jump up. I find myself looking for him, going to check his water bowl that is no longer there, etc. I guess time will change those habits. It's been a very sad few days. Just trying to keep my mind off of it. Tried typing this up a few times but couldn't get it done. We will all miss him dearly.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
You have my deepest sympathies. My dog Chuck is my best buddy. He was a rescue and we've had him since he was less than 8 weeks old. He goes everywhere with me. In fact, if it wasn't for him I likely would have sold my camp at that time because I was sick of going by myself. He just turned 12 at the end of October. I hate to even think of losing him and I know I will be a total train wreck when the time comes. I am having him cremated as well and he will be buried with me when I'm gone.

You have a rough road ahead for a while and I do not envy you for that. But hang in there and embrace your time that you had together and that Major lead a great life. Keep those pictures of him around. As painful as they may be to look at now, they will become very cherished in the future.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Sorry for your loss, but he had a good life and a good owner. We also have put down our dogs because of illness coupled with age. Seven years ago we had to put our twelve year old Doberman down he was also cremated and we have his urn, told my wife when I go put me in with him. After that ordeal I swore I would never have another dog. Well we all know how that goes, we now have a two year old Shepard, at my age I think and hope I'll go before he does.

"He lived in my eyes, died in my lap, and is buried in my heart.",
unknown author.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
So sorry for your loss. Just went through this with our 12 1/2 year old goldendoodle. Putting her down was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. I cried like a baby and here months later I still get choked up talking or writing about it. Time will help. Hang on to the good memories you created together.

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
Sorry to read of your loss on Sat. ,My thoughts goes out to you and your family. That is a tough decision to make for sure. I have had to do the same when I had to put some of my best Beagles down through the years. Like losing a member of the family, sad indeed....

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Sorry for your loss and I feel your pain buddy as I had to do the same thing last year at this time ! Its not easy and it takes a long time for the pain to go away !

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Sorry for your loss, but he had a good life and a good owner. We also have put down our dogs because of illness coupled with age. Seven years ago we had to put our twelve year old Doberman down he was also cremated and we have his urn, told my wife when I go put me in with him. After that ordeal I swore I would never have another dog. Well we all know how that goes, we now have a two year old Shepard, at my age I think and hope I'll go before he does.

"He lived in my eyes, died in my lap, and is buried in my heart.",
unknown author.
I have two boxes of ashes ready to go in the hole with me, my wife has one box, We think a lot of our four legged friends, and we have two more that are still with us..

·
Registered
714 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss. We have found that there is a fix for the water dishes and looking for things to come home too. Get another dog soon. It helped us a lot.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts