The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was out scouting, found a really good spot, really only one tree to get up in, well there's signs posted for safety zone. They say it's illegal to discharge a rifle , or BOW, within 150 yards of an occupied building. The safety zone for archery is 50 yards, I don't understand why the sign says that, the rifle is correct, but the archery???? Btw, the closest building, is a shed, which is at least 200 yards away, I paced it off, give or take a couple yards.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Probably a really old sign...

I assume you have permission to hunt here. If so, just double check with the landowner to make sure it is ok to hunt this location.

If it is public land, it sounds like you are good to go if the only structure is a shed approx. 200 yds away.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Maybe the signs can be used in different states and I`m sure each state has different regs for safty zones.Just a guess tho.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If it is private property, you can get permission from the landowner to hunt as close to the structure as you want. Or rather, as close as they want.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Must be an old sign, it is the law that counts, not the sign, there doesn't even have to be a sign to enforce a safety zone. If you have permission to hunt there don't worry about it. If you are worried about it carry the digest page that describes a safety zone in your pocket.

(2) When applied to properly licensed persons hunting with bow and arrow or crossbow, the area within 50 yards around and that area which is below the highest point of any occupied dwelling house, residence or other building or camp occupied by human beings or any barn, stable or other building used in connection therewith and the area within 150 yards around and that area which is below the highest point of any attached or detached playground of any school, nursery school or day-care center.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
FWIW, there is a property that I hunt which has a long, narrow strip(~50x150 yards) of timber that just out into corn, hay and soybean fields on top of a hill. This strip is posted with Safety Zone signs even though it's at least 300 yards from any building. I asked the farmer about it a few years ago. He told me he put them up because someone got a bullet through their kitchen window one day and it had to have come from the general direction of that strip so he put the signs up. I asked if I could bow hunt it since it's isn't even a legal safety zone.....he said that's fine, but I'd prefer you not rifle hunt in there. So, I don't rifle hunt in there, but I do bowhunt it. Funny thing is I hunt IN a different section of timber that is actually in his safety zone(with his permission) and it's not posted as such. I actually had to pass up a legal buck the first day in that spot because it was unsafe to shoot that direction(on horizon with barn/pasture close and houses further out). He trusts that I'll make the right decision and I do...it's a good relationship!

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. The signs were put there in the last two years, it's in an area that has been opened up by Lehigh county for archery hunting only. I just double checked everything today, I'm definetly going to hunt where I originally planned, I am going to carry the page out of the digest with me also, that's a good idea.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
PA-Joe said:
Are those signs on the same property of did the neighbor post the signs on someone elses lot!
No, farmer posted them on his property. He knows they aren't technically legal(or at least binding). He did it to keep rifle hunters out of there(and it does) due to the safety concerns. I don't blame him one bit to be honest.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Do they actually make separate Safety Zone signs ? Meaning one type for Archery (50 yds) and one for Firearms (150 yds) ?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have never seen two different signs, I have never seen one that was changed since the 50yd rule came into being for archery either. Since signs do not have to be present for a safety zone to exist I would think they will use what they have and then change the new ones they get printed. It is very expensive to get a large supply of signs printed and I am sure they are not spending money on things that are not critical.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts