The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel a little silly asking this but am not certain of the answer.
Situation: have property I trap that has had an office trailer placed on it.
When gaining written permission to hunt or trap inside the trailer's safety zone should the permission be from the land owner or trailer owner?
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
spur said:
The owner owns the land and the tenant is at the mercy of whatever the land owner decides.
Hunting, trapping, etc. within a safety zone is unlawful "without the specific advance permission of the lawful occupant thereof". That is the key phrase in the Safety Zone statute that you need to satisfy when getting permission. The owner is NOT always the "lawful occupant".

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
You need permission from whoever is living or working in the trailer

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Geez, spur, where'd ya reed that? I've never wrote someone a citation for not having permission from the owner, did you RWJ?

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Yeah.....I think when the owner rents the property, he "gives up" certain rights of the property in exchange for the money he is receiving. Control of who can\cannot hunt or trap I believe would be one of those items.

I mean....that would certainly make sense.

SW

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
the land owner can make rented land NO HUNTING to all including the tenant. It is the SAFETY ZONE law that falls on the residing party, not the owning party.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Spur makes em up as he goes.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Crap, going to need a little "upper level magic" to get permission from these pumpjacks.
Thank you for the replys. The main canine trail on the property I own is 140 yards from the new trailer.

·
Registered
25,769 Posts
There's a farmhouse up the road from my camp, that's been rented out for about as long as I can remember. They're my closest neighbors.

Many years ago, the tenant at the time told some local boys they couldn't hunt there, when they dropped off some watchers for a deer drive. Two of them were grandsons of the farmer that owned the place.

Didn't take gramps long to come over and tell his tenant that people were actually going to hunt there and if they didn't like it, they could move out.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Gramps and grandsons were in violation.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
As I see it, safety zones are for the protection of the people and livestock residing in the structure(s)--not the protection of the buildings themselves. The tenant had the right to tell them to leave the safety zone around the house.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
correct, gramps CAN tell tenant that he cannot hunt there, but CANNOT override the safety zone if tenant doesn't agree.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Gramps should have written into the lease that he can have who ever he wants violating the safety zone. If that is not in the lease, I can see a breach of contract law suit in the making. Sounds like a fun civil case to try... Tenants call PGC for safety zone violation, WCO sites violators. Violators tell Gramps... Gramps attempts to kick the tenants out. Tenants call the PSP to resolve the issue. PSP are stuck between a rock and a hard place...

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
safety zone always lies with the occupant, no contract is going to change that. Written permission to the hunter, now that's different. The owner could force the tenant to write permission slips BEFORE renting to them.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Beartrppr said:
Deer archer said:
Crap, going to need a little "upper level magic" to get permission from these pumpjacks.

OK, there's a new one for me! What's a "pumpjack"?
Sort of like a Jackwagon but different.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pumpjacks are the piece of a gas or oil well that sticks out of the ground.
That is not a good technical answer...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts