The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother had consevation a Deputy about the way a safety zone works, the deputy told him that if some one is hunting in his safety zone but off his property and has permission to hunt the portion of his safety zone that lays off his property its legal.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I wouldn't bet on that. your still in a safety zone and the judge will see it that way too. Talk to your WCO and you will get a different opinion.
You know what they say about opinions don't you? everybody has one!!!!!!!

Just my opinion!

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree,but I'm waiting to see what John or Dick have to say.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
A safety zone is a safety zone regardless of whos property it extends too. The only way youcan hunt the safety zone is if its yours or you have permission.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Ghost said:
My brother had consevation a Deputy about the way a safety zone works, the deputy told him that if some one is hunting in his safety zone but off his property and has permission to hunt the portion of his safety zone that lays off his property its legal.
the only way the hunter wold be legal is if your Brother gave him permission.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I can't imagine a deputy told him that because it is wrong. A safety zone is 150 yds from an occupied building and if you property is 10 yards from the boundry of another person they cannot hunt their property inside your safety zone, the safety zone is from your buildings and it soesn't matter who owns the property, with no permission, they cnnot hunt within it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Ghost said:
Is this in Lebanon county? I'm from Lebanon County and know the WCO and some of his deputies. He is a real stickler for safety issues. And, I can guarantee you a Safety Zone is a Safety Zone.

A safety zone applies to the legal distance that you must stay away from a building or buildings. Property lines have absolutely nothing to do with it. Permissions may affect it. There may have been some misunderstanding with the deputy.

If there is a possible violation involved, I suggest you call the Southeast Regional office and ask for the local WCO.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This coversation occured out at ft. Indiantown gap, both the range control officer and the deputy were adamant that as long as the hunter had permission, he was legal, I called BS rightaway, my brother doesn't know the deputys name.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Like the others said, if the hunter was within 150 yards (50 in archery) of your brother's place, <u>even if the hunter is on the Gap or on a neighbor's property</u>, that hunter is in your brother's SZ. <span style="color: #CC0000">And, he needs your brother's permission to be there.</span>

If this is in Lebanon, and it happens again or your brother has information that the officer can use to prosecute the SZ violation that happened this time, have your brother call the SE office and ask WCO Tim Smith to call him.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Yes, an occupied building is any building that could be occupied, barns, sheds impliment buildings etc. No one has to actually be in the building at the time of the violation. When you are away from home there is still a safety zone around your home.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
ConCrnd_Sprtsmn said:
Like the others said, if the hunter was within 150 yards (50 in archery) of your brother's place, even if the hunter is on the Gap or on a neighbor's property, that hunter is in your brother's SZ. And, he needs your brother's permission to be there.

If this is in Lebanon, and it happens again or your brother has information that the officer can use to prosecute the SZ violation that happened this time, have your brother call the SE office and ask WCO Tim Smith to call him.
Come on now ConCrnd....You and I BOTH know from past posts on here, that Lebanon County has no WCO nor DWCOs and even if there was, they would not do a thing about it....

I want to be there the day that 1 of those past posters, Eats Crow when WCO Smith or 1 of his DWCOs show up and put the "Clinkers" on them!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
You need the permission of the person that owns the house, his SZ.

That is why you will see Safety zone signs inside Game lands. To warn you a house is near.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Nobody in Lebanon County told anyone any such thing we were all laughing at the concept last night that one of us would say such a thing.

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Safety zone is one of the most elementary of all game laws. Property lines don't matter at all. If the entire 150 yds are on your property it is ok. If you are within the safety zone of someone else's occupied building, even on your own ground, you need permission from the building's owner. Believe me nearly 15 acres of my ground is within the safety zones of neighbors houses. Two of whom are anti-hunters, so I don't even ask. I know where the 150 yd line is and stay out of it when hunting.

It does seem unfair that a person can build a house near a property line and stop hunting on a sizeable part the neighbor's land. But that is the law.

·
Registered
25,733 Posts
Incurred the wrath of some of our sportsmen's club members years ago, when I went around our 154 acres and put up SZ signs where appropriate, because of neighbors' houses.

Some couldn't get it through their heads, that although it was our own property, they couldn't legally hunt within those SZs.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Why is it when peopleput things on here to make WCO'S or the DWCO'S look bad they hear it second hand and wow they never got the guys name or any thing that would matter. I know for a fact it wasnt any of the DWCOS from Lebanon county. And i doubt very much it was any DWCO or WCO. Sounds like a pot stirrer to me to get everyone upset.

·
Registered
25,733 Posts
Some think WCOs make for easy internet punching bags. Most WCOs are not as easy in person. A few of 'em aren't even easy on the internet. They know who they are.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Isn't it also true that one can not shoot at deer/game that are inside a SZ as well?

I have a guy that hunts behind my house (not my property) that sets up legally just outside of the SZ but he faces towards the SZ. 90% of the deer that come through the area are IN the SZ. Do I have to wait until he shoots into the SZ before I make a call to a WCO? What recourse do I have except to wait until someone gets hurt or a house gets hit? He was only there the first day of gun season this year (wife told me) and I was up state so I didn't have an opportunity to talk to him. I already had a chat with dove hunters this past September that set up JUST legally however shot into the SZ (few pellets hit my house). I figured by the time I made a call they would be gone. I did however warn them I would call the next time.

Lastly, can I legally post SZ posters on someone else's property as long as I have permission from the landowner?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts