The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an inexpensive safety harness, the type that comes with a tree stand. Feels good, works good, no problems with it. BUT... it's a gold/metalic kind of color that i'm not to crazy for. Not sure of it will bother the wildlife or not. So my question is for the guys that use these, is there a need to camo or darken the straps, or just let it go and stop thinking to much (LOL).

If I should darken the straps, any suggestions?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I usually wear mine underneath my top layer so it doesnt really matter. If it worry's you that its too tight some camo tape could probably take care of that.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I actually think most new hunting clothing is too bright. The woods is a dull place and well colored stuff stands out. I like those faded cloths and fade them on purpose.

I'd be spray painting that bright thing.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Black Spray paint

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info! But I do have a couple questions (bear with me, this is my first year w/ a bow and a stand in 20 years)

If I paint the straps, wouldn't the paint peel and chip?

Wearing underneath my clothing sounds fine during late season, but what about warm days in October. Straps resting against my boxer shorts dosen't really seen to comfy. LOL

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
Is it the 'seat-o-the-pants' harness from Summit? Does it look like this?

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Take this advice to heart. Do yourself a favor and throw that safety harness away. They are complicated, uncomfortable, and very frustrating to put on and wear.
Get yourself an HSS vest style restraint because they are so much easier to put on and you can actually enjoy hunting in one.
I've honestly thrown out probably 6 or 7 of those stupid spiderweb contraptions that come with treestands over the years.

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
I think they are very, very easy to wear.

Those vests are hot and heavy in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I have a camo SOP that I bought, not the freebies, and I like it. I am sure I would like the HSS vest but it is expensive and would probably be a little toasty in the early season.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
A bottle of black RIT dye from the supermarket and your home free....

Not that hard to do....faded clothes a little too bright? Do the same (in proportion). Just darkens up your camo.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I have been wearing the Sop for about 12 years . I dont worry about color .

·
Registered
658 Posts
Ditto to number17's comments. I have that exact same harness and do NOT use it anymore. Use the integrated vest harness from HSS.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
As most have said, that harness you should wear inside your camo. But it is a pain in the butt to put on. Which is why I have the HSS vest, four buckles, done.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for everyone who gave some info/opinions, I really do appreciate it. Purchasing a vest style harness is just not in the budget for now and the harness I have does feel fine and after trying it on a few times and shooting with it i have no complaints. And it appears that I was probably over thinking the color/brightness of the straps. I do have it hanging in the sun for about a week or two to kill the scent and dull it a bit.

Everyone have a safe and fun season, good luck!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts