The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to get the itch to get on the ice. I'm hoping this cold weather gangs around for a while.

·
Registered
18,432 Posts
kyle31490 said:
I'll be on ice within a day or 2.

I guess it's alot colder up there in your neck of the woods. Ponds have a skim here but nowhere near safe ice for awhile.

·
Registered
102 Posts
any of you guys use sonar units for ice fishing. saw a guy using an old flasher unit a couple years ago. He had a homemade mount for the transducer. he was catching panfish after panfish. neat part was you could see the suspended fish on the flasher and then his bait as ihe dropped down to them. I was looking at one of those vexlar units at the sporting goods store the other day and they are really expensive.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I agree, bought one 3 years ago...wouldn't fish with out.

I'm thinking all this snow isn't good either...just like a big blanket over skim ice here.

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
Won't be long looking at the forecast. I would say that many northern tier lakes will be locked-up by next weeekend. Last year I fished Hunters Lake(Sullivan County) plus Rose Valley Lake(Lycoming) both which had safe ice in many areas into late February/early March. Here in York County...no ice. 150 miles north makes a huge difference or sure.

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
shuey 270 said:
I live close to Rose Valley and it's froze all the way. Not safe yet.
Shuey...be sure to post-up when good ice is on RV. I'm on IS but those guys are a lil guarded in postin-up ice conditions! lol

Thanks..

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We are gonna give it a try New Year's Day at a local lake, gonna take it easy and drill a few holes to check thickness

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Some of the people that go out on Shenango Lake are crazy. They go out on 1 1/2 inches of ice. The water is only about 3 feet deep where they are but it is just as cold as the places that are deeper.

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
beagler said:
patmack said:
any of you guys use sonar units for ice fishing.
I have a Vexilar FL-20 and wouldn't jig for panfish without it. Great asset.
My main sonar is a Vexilar LPS-1 handheld portable (below) which is outstanding for finding optimum depths to drill etc. I use a Eagle Cuda 300 which I adapted to ice application with ice fishing transducer which I use on lakes where I need to see fish. If I could only own one sonar it would be the Vexilar LPS-1 hands down since finding optimal depths, ledges etc is what I concentrate on.

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
SuperX2Nut said:
Seems like a lot of money to spend on something that a lake contour map could tell you.
Yeah...whut i thought too per use of maps for years. My thoughts were quickly changed. LX1 gives the precision you need in accurately locating current ledges, structure etc when drilling an 8" hole. Far more accurate/reliable than maps. Guess it all depend's on ones own expectations just as anything else..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts