The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody knows where u can still get saf t bak small game coat, mine is officially shot after the other day, i picked up a pair of hunting pants from a guy that got them somewhere down near lancaster i believe weavers??? are they event still in buisiness(saf t bak) thanks

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I wish I had some info on them but I believe they went out of business years ago. I looked for a vest coat and pants after mine wore out .They were bought in the early sixtys.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
They were out of Altoona PA if I remember correctly-------I have an old pair of brush pants that wear like iron!!!
I would guess they sold out or went out???

Dave

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Yep! Altoona. I have a camo Saf-t-bak fishing vest, I've repaired and glued holes shut on, because I like it so much. I can't find anything like it nowadays.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
The Safe-T-Bak name re-surfaced about a few years ago and Diks was carrying them. Only one thing, they were made in Vietnam. i think they were called Chiller Killer in their 3 season coat. I have one and it is very well made, butI owned it for a while before I realized where it was made
It`s a shame they closed up in Altoona. When I was younger, my brothers and I all wore Safe-T-Bak or Carhardt hunting clothers. I don`t want to get started but I have a major beef with Carhardt as of late also with all of their foreign made crap.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Yard sales and estate auctions is where this stuff turns up frequently...I have a whole new wardrobe of old Safe-T-back clothing.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found a small game jacket disafternoon up at bills hardware in dushore, pa one problem it was a medium, and it was a made in usa one too!!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
BlackBruin said:
I found a small game jacket disafternoon up at bills hardware in dushore, pa one problem it was a medium, and it was a made in usa one too!!
Did he have any fat guy sizes
I need a XXXL.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes, SAF-T-BAK was in Altoona. Goodness, it most have been back in the mid to late 80's that it closed down operations there.

I actually have a few things still in the closet from their going out of business sale back then. Good stuff.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
I still have one of my Dad's ole SAF-T-BAK coats from Altoona. dont makem like that anymore.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
HuntingSoldier said:
Yes, SAF-T-BAK was in Altoona. Goodness, it most have been back in the mid to late 80's that it closed down operations there.

I actually have a few things still in the closet from their going out of business sale back then. Good stuff.
You guys are right the building is still sitting empty. I live close to it. They did make one heck of a product when they were around.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Loggy, 10X is imported now too. My first deer coat was a red 10X with air cell insulation. It floats. It was from Wilson's gun shop in Dauphin.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I still have 2 Sfe-T-Bak feild/brush coats left, 1 Large and 1 XL. Needless to say, I can`t fit in either
Does anyone know shy Safe-T-Bak went out of business?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a new pair of Saf T Bak pants at Dicks sporting goods a year or two ago in the pittsburgh area. Not sure if they still stock them. Good luck.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Saf T Bak name was brought and sold at Dicks a year or 2 ago. Chiller Killer was one name and they had other stuff. Made in Viet Nam. They must have just bought the name.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
octagon said:
I still have 2 Sfe-T-Bak feild/brush coats left, 1 Large and 1 XL. Needless to say, I can`t fit in either
Does anyone know shy Safe-T-Bak went out of business?
They couldn't compete with the cheap labor from over seas is why they went out of business. Another reason is because PA lawmakers won't cut any business that pays half decent a break in this area. If you are not a shopping mall then you can't get squat from Harrisburg!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts