The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been looking into buying an inexpensive crossbow for my 15 year old son, and ran across the Ripper crossbow. Haven't found too many reviews on it, but the specs look good. Anyone know anything about this model? Or any other recommendations? I don't want to spend a boat load of cash to get him started.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Personally I would look at getting a Wicked Ridge Crossbow which is made by Tenpoint. You get great customer service and warranty if you need it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm totally new to crossbows and didn't want to spend a bundle to find out if I liked it or not. I decided I wanted to keep it simple and go with Excalibur. I found a guy in Lancaster selling a Exocet complete set up for $375. I'm more that happy with it....and my wife is very happy I don't have too much invested LOL

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I'm glad that I did buy into Wicked Ridge... We have two of them... Like anything else they can break...Have two broken Wicked Ridge now but....I took them to a bow shop.. They called wicked ridge and they are covered under warranty. So They will fix it. No cost for the repairs. Just the shipment to the WR. Did it hurt me that the cams cracked ... Yes... I should have checked them out earlier. My fault I could have returned them in the off season.. However things like crossbows are going to break.. Figure how much action and pressure that is involved.. But WR is making it better so it's true that they do give excellent service. None of that stuff that once they get your money you Lose!!!

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Now that did leave me without a crossbow in archery season... So I did purchase a cheap S A Sport Rebel Recurve that has 175 LB Pull and 284 FPS. researching it looks like the maximum kill zone is 37 yards.. I have spare things for all kinds of hunting so it's not real bad that I had to buy a crossbow if I wanted to achieve a few goals I have.. So i'm hoping that this cheap S A Sport will at least harvest a deer if the situation warrants a shot.. So may I ask an additional question to the original posters question.. Will a S A Sports recurve crossbow harvest a deer? I know I'm going to miss my Wicked Ridge Invader HP for a few weeks..

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
BY the way I shot off two communications to S A Sports about their crossbows at 4:30 PM on Friday .. Let see if they respond to them? Then you will know if they are a good CB company or not...By the way looks like S A Sports office is in Allentown, Pa.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
S A S did call me on the phone and gave me some valuable info on string length and what to do to correct a small infraction I'm having on one of the CB scopes.. I purchased a Red Dot CB scope on clearance in Wallyworld years ago and I might even put that on this particular S A Crossbow.. However I got the scope working like it should.. However you might have to use bow shops or the web to get replacement strings for certain S A Sports CB.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
When we did shoot 2 each S A Sports Rebel CB recurve in they are a nice CB for the price... Probably going to use mine even when I get the WR back for repair. 175 lb draw and 284 fps. As recommended we are using the WR Bolts and they are shooting real nice in this CB.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts