The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always had standard cab Chevys or 1 Ford.Wanted to finally get an extended cab truck.Also a truck with under 100,000 mi.Tough to find.I only put about 3,000/year on my truck.
Well here is what I found.A 2002 Chevy S10 LS extended cab,4.3 V6, 4x4 with 40,000 mi.
How do you guys that have them like em?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I now have 240,000 miles on mine and it doesn't use a drop of oil. The frame and body is as solid as the day I bought it, just a tiny surface rust on one of the rocker panels. It's a 99 and has never been garage kept. The 4.3 is a great motor, it's a v8 with two cylinders removed, so the bottom end is bullet proof.
Like yourself I always had full sized Chevy and bought this just to be a time being truck,but the thing won't quit, and I've really taken to it.You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Happy with my 98 GMC Sonoma. Keeps on going. Little over 177,000 miles on it now. Don't think you will be disappointed with a purchase of an S10.

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
It`s funny you post this. I was thinking of one of these myself or Ford Ranger. I don`t like the newer trucks at all. The only S-10`s I didn`t like is the few years they put that funky rear bumper on them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I love s10's....have 3 of them. My parts truck has 300,000 miles on it. It is hard to find low mile s10's anymore. I am a big guy 6' 300 pounds.....and fit with no problem...lol. I have 1 extended cab s10....great for hauling gear and grandkids. If you don't want it and the price is right I will take it. Good gas mileage also. And with the price of gas my pals don't laugh at my "little" truck anymore.

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
I'veowned two Jimmy's.They were good vehicles but both of mine ate ball joints and front hub assemblies on a regular basis.I'm hard on my trucks though.The 4.3 is a good engine but I wouldn't say the gas mileage was good.Personally I'd never own a small truck ever again.The full size 1/2 tons have more room,are more comfortable,have way more power and don't get any worse of gas mileage.That's just me.If you get a good deal on it,it would be a good vehicle.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
All the s10 trucks are hard on front end parts so when you buy these parts get the lifetime warranty ones or AC Delco brand ones which are the most expensive but last a few years..If you buy your parts at Autozone or Advance auto then get the lifetime warranty and KEEP your receipt..NAPA also sells parts that last quite awhile..

·
Registered
847 Posts
410-er said:
I have always had standard cab Chevys or 1 Ford.Wanted to finally get an extended cab truck.Also a truck with under 100,000 mi.Tough to find.I only put about 3,000/year on my truck.
Well here is what I found.A 2002 Chevy S10 LS extended cab,4.3 V6, 4x4 with 40,000 mi.
How do you guys that have them like em?
They are tuff little trucks, decent gas mileage but not great, maybe 20 on the highway. If it's the right price jump on it, with only 40,000 miles it has PLENTY of life left. The newer trucks are better, but there also 35 grand or better. Tell us more about it!

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought it for $8g.Couldn't pass the low mi.,great frame,org paint,and body.Looked for 2yrs for a decent one!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I think you're really going to like your truck. Mine has the G-80 "limited slip" rear with 3.42 gears and still gets 21 MPG after 240,000 miles. The only problem I had with it was an electric fuel pump at about 130,000 miles.I have no doubt this truck will go 300,000 miles. You did well and good luck with it!
Any pictures of that baby?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Eats tires....you must rotate religiously every 5000 miles. And get lifetime align at firestorm.go back as much as you want.....they like to eat ball joints. Keep an eye on 3rd door bottom are rust and passenger corner cab

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Funny that is the only rust I had after 14 years...I was still on the orig exhaust after 14 years when I sold it....also corvette 17 x 8.5 wheels are a bolt on with 235 65 17 tires....I can show you pic if you want. Looked factory and really helped handling

·
Registered
555 Posts
pt1e said:
Funny that is the only rust I had after 14 years...I was still on the orig exhaust after 14 years when I sold it....also corvette 17 x 8.5 wheels are a bolt on with 235 65 17 tires....I can show you pic if you want. Looked factory and really helped handling
Was that a 4x4? You see very few with after market wheels, would love to see a picture.

·
20,123 Posts
Yep. My 2000 ZR2 went through front end Bering's like they were candy. Every year at inspection time one would go. I loved that truck though. Just sold it after 14 years and 200,000+ miles. Wanted to cry. Engine was awesome and the thing NEVER once let me down.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Ghostcoon.pm me your email....I'll send it to you..so much easier... it was a 4x4. Offset on corvette is the same as the 4x4. They did not not stick out at all...looked factory.....the only thing I needed to do was cut about a half inch nub off the hub so the center caps would fit. Victory red with silver wheels..slick hehe

1 - 20 of 30 Posts