The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone else out there just love the majority of these guns? they are all so sharp looking. i wish i could afford them all. i always try to point out i am a amateur compared to a lot of you folks on here in terms of gun knowledge but something about those performance center weapons that just screams "AWESOME" to me. am i alone here?

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Absolutely not, I think they are awesome as well. I think that they are all a work of art. I am with you in wanting them. I really would like a .500 performance gun in a 10" barrel. You can get them cheaper (not to be confused with the word "cheap" by itself) on gunbroker.com.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Dude.....I shoot this gun (M-29 44mag) a lot in the summer just the way you see it. With a solid hold (like a good tree limb, or a gas well road metal fence post) I've killed groundhogs @ 80 and 100 yards.

Now, I'm certain there are those who will roll their eyes at that, but both of these were witnessed by a gun club member and his 14 year old son.

And I must say, it was the gun......not so much the shooter.

Dave

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Dude,

That's the 629 Stealth Hunter! Funny thing about that one is Smith models....they use two digit numbers on their non-stainless guns, but this gun is "Stainless" but the finish is "Matte Black".

7.5" barrel will help with that sight picture. Nice piece!!

Dave

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah...i would really like to acquire this one....i've been eyeing it up for a while.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
You could always look on Gun-broke-now. I dunno if your from the eastern part or the western part of Pa., but if your from "around these parts" (western Pa.) you may want to give Ace's hardware a call. That guy has darn near every gun ever made in his shop.

FWIW

Dave

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm from beaver county..lol (dos-bravo = 2b)

which ace's hardware?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
That thing looks like something out of termitator. There can't be any advantage to that thing. LOL.

Might as well be carrying a rifle.

Anyone shoot a 329 PD. They have come out with a 329 that has a 6" barrel. It weighs something like 33-35 oz. That one is interesting to me.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I have shot the 4" 329PD and it was pretty brutal with full all out hunting loads. Great to carry though, very light. If you were using it for what it was intended for you would never even know it was going off.

I think that Smith has a pretty good thing going with the Performance Center!

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I've been drooling over them for years. Don't know if I could part with that much cash for one even if I had it. I'm hoping one day some long lost uncle of mine that I don't know about brings me a present.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Dude,

My bad. It's Ace Firearms located in Washington Pa.

BTW....I couldn't get the web site to work using Monzilla. But it would come up using Microsoft internet explorer.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
adudeuknow said:
hey dave,
have you ever seen this two-toned black 460 xvr with the muzzle break?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=155807328

i think i am in love.
Dude,

I've looked long and hard at the 460VR. I own a Marlin 1895XLR in 45-70. I tell ya, I've ran the ballistic's on the 45-70 comparing the lightest 45-70 bullet you can buy (which is a 250 gr., and I think Barnes makes it) to (comparing it to) the 200gr. of any bullet for the 460VR.

When you compare the ballistics of the bullet drop, and the downrange energy of the two, there is no significant difference between the two. Actually, the 45-70 in a closed breach (Contender or Encore) single shot, will give you more down range velocity and energy than the 460VR.

Now, that's just the ballistic data.

My 1895XLR....I have peep sights on it and it will clover leaf my handloaded Hornady gummy tips at 100 and 200 yards, and will give me 1.5" 4-shot groups at 300 yards. The rifle is easier to handle than that Smith hand cannon....plus the ballistics of the 45-70 are better.

Yeah.....I know....I'm takin a pin and poppin your balloon. But it was the same balloon of mine that I popped.

Dave

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh, you are not telling me anything new....just one of those things i want. i ultimately want to harvest both a bear and a elk with that gun. the one in the gunbroker ad was made specifically for ellet brothers. i am determined to find one. lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts