The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking at buying my first AR. The M&P "Sport" model fits my budget right now, read reviews, etc... They seem to be a decent American made "Entry Level" AR from what I can tell. I had (3) - S&W AR's in my hand today at Gander Mnt, none of which were the Sport model, but what I noticed is that 2 out of 3 S&W AR's upper and lower receivers had a slight "wobble" to them. They just didn't fit tight like some of the other manufactures did on the shelf (i.e. Stag and DPMS)

I realize you get what you pay for in this world, but is this just a "tolerance" issue that S&W has with this entry level AR or is there is some sort of adjustment can be done to "tighten" up the wobble?

Maybe I should be steering away from S&W altogether??

I'd like to hear your opinions and comments. Hopefully headed to the Gun Show this Saturday here in York and looking to buy an AR.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
S&W puts a great AR together. A little wobble would not keep me from buying. It can be fixed with an Acuwedge, if so inclined.

Also, you should at least look at what Palmetto State Armory has to offer. You can buy the parts and put it together yourself or buy a completed rifle.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/

·
Registered
666 Posts
There are a pile of M&P15's out there and everybody I know who has one is perfectly happy with theirs. Except one. His definitely seems to have some tolerance issues. I'm sure it's a fluke, but if I was him you can bet your butt I'd have sent it back.
However, like RobOz said, a little play between receivers is nothing to worry about. If it bothers you an Accuwedge is like $5.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RobOz said:
S&W puts a great AR together. A little wobble would not keep me from buying. It can be fixed with an Acuwedge, if so inclined.

Also, you should at least look at what Palmetto State Armory has to offer. You can buy the parts and put it together yourself or buy a completed rifle.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/
Thanks. I was looking last night at those PSA's last night. Pretty sweet. I like the Anderson lowers, too.

Couldn't find any assembled AR's onnthere ... ALL "Out of Stock". :<(

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I just purchased a S&W M&P15OR. I have noticed that the front hand grip had a little wobble, is that what your feeling? Either way, I have been installing all kinds of Magpul accessories, the front new grip is solid now. Another possibility could be that the pins you pull out to remove upper from lower might need to be pushed in further. I noticed this when re-installing them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts