The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a possible opportunity to acquire a .40 cal M&P brand new from a private owner. Only fired at the factory, never by the owner.

While I enjoy shooting, all of my guns are hunting guns, I've never owned any kind of similar handgun and only fired a semi-auto handgun once or twice in my life.

But I think I'd just like to have one for plinking targets, get it before this country goes crazy on gun controls or the U.N. small arms thing, and to a lesser extent, personal protection. I suppose recent events got me thinking about it again, and the opportunity sort of just came up. Call it karma.

So what do those out there more familiar with this gun in particular, a polymer, semi-auto, think of it, pros and cons, alternatives, whatever. Apologies if another thread already covered this, please just point me at it.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
The M&P is a good reliable semi-auto ... not the best trigger out of the box ... but a lot of people do easily obtainable upgrades to the trigger. For personal protection and occasional range use, and if the price is right, it would likely suit you very well.

Assuming this is the full size, there are compact versions and a new M&P Shield that is getting great reviews. The full size M&P may be a little big for concealed carry.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I have a M&P 9mm, full size and love it. Never shot the 40 so I can't comment on that.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have M&P 40 and M&P Shield they are both sweet. Shield is very nice continous carry gun. Perfect size. Full size is great with the interchangeable hand grips. i wouldnt buy any other gun for everyday use over a M&P.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You will have no complaints with the .40other than it cost more to shoot than the 9mm. M&P's are very reliable, shoot well and you can get any accessory you want for it. You cant go wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts