The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might pick up the better half a S&W M&P 15-22 tomorrow as a Christmas gift (Hope it goes well), she does go to the range with me in the warmer months. I know its last minute but I was just wondering if anyone on here has one and how do you like it?

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought one about a year ago. Neat looking gun, and that's where it stopped. Had one jam every clip. I realized that most new .22 semi auto's are going to skip a beat here and there until the feed surfaces smooth out, but this thing was IMO an expensive piece of junk. Paid in the upper 400's, had to sell it for 300, and felt lucky to get that. BTW, I tried several brands of ammo, hoping for a different result, but that didn't seem to help either.

Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and get a good one.

The day after I sold it, I bought a Henry Golden Boy. Much more fun for me.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Red Roan said:
I bought one about a year ago. Neat looking gun, and that's where it stopped. Had one jam every clip. I realized that most new .22 semi auto's are going to skip a beat here and there until the feed surfaces smooth out, but this thing was IMO an expensive piece of junk. Paid in the upper 400's, had to sell it for 300, and felt lucky to get that. BTW, I tried several brands of ammo, hoping for a different result, but that didn't seem to help either.

Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and get a good one.

The day after I sold it, I bought a Henry Golden Boy. Much more fun for me.

Did you take the time to clean it before shooting it out of the box?

I have one, cleaned it nice and good before taking it to the range. ZERO problems. I have used Remington, CCI, Federal, Winchester with no trouble.

Grat gun..but make sure you get a second mag

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought one a little over a year ago and went through probably close to 3000 rounds in it without any real problems. mainly just dud ammo that didnt go off. other than that I think anyone that shoots it has a blast with it.

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
I'll let you know after Christmas.I bought my son one.The instructions do say to clean and lubricate it prior to use.I watched a gun show the other night and the one on there worked perfect as did the you tube videos I watched.I have 3 brands of ammo to try before buying in bulk just to be safe.

·
Registered
485 Posts
just a question. did you give s&w a chance to make it right or just sell it and bash the manufacturerer? i was guilty of that with a remington 504. never gave big green a chance. regret it now. NOBODY is perfect.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I own at least 25 rifles and this one is the most fun my grandkids have with any of them..no problems whatsoever since I shifted to federal ammo..the golden bullets caused jams at first but have never had a problem since..great great gun for the money.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It was unfortunate that I bought a "jammer", seems like a lot of you guys are having fun with them. I wish it had worked out for me, really.

And....I was not bashing S & W, they make many fine weapons, some I own. S & W's reputation is what led me to buy the rifle in the first place. I'm just bashing this particular weapon I paid a lot of money for. To me it's just poor quality control, nothing more.

And...no, I didn't give the factory a chance to make it "right". Call me old fashioned, but they had their chance to make it right when they stamped it approved & put it in the box. From the numerous internet postings I've seen about these guns jamming and being sent back, apparently S & W has been more than helpful correcting this issue. An issue I didn't have the time to get involved in.

That being said, if in the future I found one for sale that worked properly & I could run several clips through it first, I'd consider adding it to the collection.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
From the quality control standpoint... Even if they proof tested it with a few rounds and it worked fine, there is no way to guaruntee that it will work flawlessly for xxxx rounds. Even buying a used rifle that has had a couple thousand "trouble free" rounds through it doesn't mean the next 1000 will perform the same.

Thus far mine has been flawless except for dud ammo. I didn't even clean it for the first time until around 700 rounds through it. My neighbors 15-22 had a firing pin break around 1000 rounds. That doesn't mean I'm getting rid of mine anytime soon though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Great gun i have 5000 rounds through it and just make sure you take the bolt out and clean it up if u have any problems with jamming and make sure your loading the ammo in the mag correctly if you have any bullets in the mag that are stacked incorrectly sometimes it wont feed it right but i have had no problems but cheap dud ammo. shot federal and cci ammo. if you want good ammo that i havent had problems with look for cci tactical ammo. American eagle ammo will dirty the gun alot more then most ammo. but there is no need to clean the gun unless u are having problems. Goodluck its a great little gun.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
my boys found one under the tree this morning. we just came in from shooting it in the back yard. what a hoot. and boy is it accurate. we shot about 200 or so rounds with no FTF. had one dud but that wasn't the guns fault. we shot federal champion and rem golden. we didn't even need to adjust the sites. it is dead on at 40 yards. i was shooting fist sized 25 round groups at 40 yards with the peep in about 7 seconds. man this little gun will really run through the ammo. good thing santa brought 5000 rounds of 22 in his sleigh.

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
My son shot his and it worked perfectly.I would rate it a very good value for the money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts