The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after months (I've actually wanted one for years) of thinking about it, I finally bought a Performance Center S&W 500 Magnum. But I'm not writing this post to boast, I'm writing it because part of what took me so long to finally "pull the trigger" was that I had a great deal of difficulty finding many personal opinions on the gun - so here is my opinion now that I own one. What I did find were a lot of posts (on the internet at large) nixing the 500 due to a lack of practicality.

Let me be the first to tell you that if you favor practicality over pure American fun, this is NOT the gun for you. I read plenty on the internet about how the S&W 460 was a "better" purchase because it could fire .454 Cassull and .45 Long Colt rounds (among others) in addition to the .460. My .357 Magnum NEVER once saw a .38 special or +P through it b/c that's what I bought a .38 Centennial for; so why would I buy a .460 so I could shoot lower-test ammo? Sure, I could save a few bucks by purchasing cheaper ammo but again, if shooting a .454 Cassull is what you want to do, buy a Taurus or a Ruger.

The .500 is truly a beast, and one I will never, and I mean never, part ways with. It is accurate, built by masterminds with controllability in mind, and truly a spectacle each and every time the trigger is pulled no matter what ammo it is fed.

This is a firearm worth owning, and one I own with absolutely no regrets. Hopefully someone who reads this post appreciates my thoughts and uses this narrative for his or her own benefit, which would make having typed it worthwhile.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
i thought long and hard about purchasing one and i have shot a few differant models several times...no problems from the gun but i fell in love with a limited edition(300 made)ellett brothers 460xvr.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
This revolver was not originally a full production model but a bespoke one off, built especially for a wealthy Swiss gentleman...Mr. Zeliska.

Pulled from the beginning of the link you posted.

Also a mighty expensive one off at almost 18,000 dollars

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
very true, but you couldnt get that thunder bmg unless you were bill gates...i think they only made one and you couldnt be anywhere near the barrel when it went off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts