The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an acre plot frost-seeded with clover. I want a rye cover for it. But I want to be sure to seed the rye when it's warm enough to begin germination immediately...……….otherwise I'll be broadcasting turkey food.

When do you think I should broadcast my rye seed ??

Thanks in advance !!!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Rye can germinate down to about 36 degrees. I would say check out the forecast for the planting area, and you should be able to do it fairly soon.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Not seeding for crop………….just cover. So I had about a bushel in mind. 50-60 lbs
OK, sounds good. I would maybe go a little higher if you are really worried about the birds and turkeys getting some. If you can get it down right before a rain, that will certainly help.

Do you have some pics of the plot area? We love to see pics of habitat projects!

Will the rye compete with the clover?

I don't know, just asking.
No, cereal grains are often planted as a nurse crop with clover (oats, barley, rye - most often oats I think). The extra crop seedlings help keep the weeds at bay until the clover can get a grasp on the plot. In addition, the roots left behind by the rye will add great organic matter to the soil and help retain water for the clover.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have some pics of the plot area? We love to see pics of habitat projects!
Not at the moment. I'll try to get a few...……….maybe over the weekend.

Thanks for the help !!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Get 50 lbs of whole feed oats and mix with the rye. Broadcast right before a heavy rain. Then plan to brushhog late July.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get 50 lbs of whole feed oats and mix with the rye. Broadcast right before a heavy rain. Then plan to brushhog late July.

What is the benefit of adding the oats to the rye ?? Very curious.

As an aside...……...my brother has already bought 100# of rye for the plot.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
I cant offer much on the planting date, I have only planted rye in the fall as a cover crop and it's usually a foot tall at this time of year.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
We normally only plant rye grain (winter rye) in the fall as a cover crop. if you plant this in the spring, once it stems, it will die. If you plant too much rye, it will choke out the clover. I'd nix the rye in the spring and just plant the clover.

·
Registered
20,883 Posts
We normally only plant rye grain (winter rye) in the fall as a cover crop. if you plant this in the spring, once it stems, it will die. If you plant too much rye, it will choke out the clover. I'd nix the rye in the spring and just plant the clover.
yep.Either that or put buckwheat in around the beginning of may and then til it in around the beginning of august or before it goes to seed.Rye right now is pointless but rye in the fall is good.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
He's using the rye as a nurse crop to help keep the weeds down in the young clover. Granted, he will have a decision to make with the rye as it matures and starts to head out - terminate it with Cleth or Imox before seed matures, let it go to seed and then mow, keep mowing it to keep it from going to head, etc.

In the past, we have let the rye yellow and go to seed (the clover does just fine "underneath" the rye) and then mow it late summer/early fall...then we get a fall crop of volunteer rye as the seed germinates. If the long term goal of the plot is straight clover, he has some options to get there. The big thing is the rye will help build his soil and improve water retention in the plot while keep some of the weeds at bay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts