The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i planted a rye grain cover crop over Ladino clover 3 weeks ago. The rye is approx 3" tall and you can just see the clover popping out the ground. Very good coverage, but now we have an inch of snow covering everything. How will this effect my two fields ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've often thought about doing the same thing (seeding a cereal into an existing clover field), but have just never done it. My expectation is that the rye will stay green and palatable well after the clover goes dormant this winter. Same in late winter/early Spring. Who knows, it may even help the clover. You'll just have to mow off (or spray dead) the rye at some point next Spring to allow the clover to grow without having to compete with the rye.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my question is more of a : how will the very young plants handle this weather, especially the just sprouting clover

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
SSLON, I planted white, arrowleaf and crimson clover back in early September but because of dry weather the clover didn't sprout until late September. So I am pretty much in the same boat as you... Lots of clover plants that are just a couple weeks old. Hopefully magnus is right and they will be just fine... I also have winter peas, wheat, oats and triticale.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
going up to camp friday night. The rye should be ok, but i'm real worried that the tiny pin-head clover froze or died out

·
Registered
191 Posts
It'll be there next spring; snow is not a big threat.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
My food plot was still booming even after a couple frosts and 2" of snow... Even the brassicas seemed to still be growing well. Gonna take a harder freeze to finally kill them I guess.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Checked out the plots this weekend. The snow didn't hurt anything but the deer sure did. The rye grain is eating down to the dirt in both fields. The clover is still pinhead size but didn't seem any worse from the snow

1 - 11 of 11 Posts