The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after we did some drives yesterday, i gotta say it looked like the rut was still on full bore. there were fresh rubs all over the woods and the bark was still laying on the leaves. the buck i shot had a huge swollen neck still too. this pic isnt the greatest but you can kinda see how wide his neck was. shoulda took a better pic.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Yesterday, we witnessed two small bucks sparring, lots of fresh rubs, and some chasing, got a basket racked 7 while he was trailing a doe

·
Registered
63 Posts
On Friday morning my friend Russel had two 4 points and one 6 point all fighting in his back yard here in central PA, near Lock Haven. I've seen a few bucks that seem to be still pursuing the females.. nice deer by the way.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Yes, there is still some chasing/ rutting going on. 6 doe and 2 bucks on there tails comming out of the woods into the field, when the 6 point started running them around and the smaller 4 point started go for the little ones.
Nice buck JR.
I guess depending where your located it's still on.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
As long as there are some doe in "estrous" in an area buck will stay in the rut.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i wish i woulda had my camera out during gun season to see when the bucks were cruising and where they were coming from. obviously they cruised at night since we didnt see them during the day, but i would like to know how close to daylight it happened. they were through our woods everynight. and i swear the woods looks like late october right now.

·
Registered
941 Posts
On Tuesday of the first week I was sitting there and in the thicket behind me I could hear grunting then here comes this doe out with a 3 pt right on her tail then about an hr later a really big I mean huge 16-17" wide 4 pt came out right on the same trail with nose to the ground grunting with every other step. And the last 3 days of this week with the snow I found some rubs with the shredded bark still on top of the snow. That was all in 2e

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
seen runs last week fresh ones yesterday in Md. saw 8 point chasing doe...still going

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
on the way home from work today,a big ten point ran onto the road and stopped in the middle of it.he turned to look back and here comes two doe hot on his heels.he waited for them and off into the brush they went.first buck i have seen in the regular firearm seasons.go figure.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
lanchestercounty said:
on the way home from work today,a big ten point ran onto the road and stopped in the middle of it.he turned to look back and here comes two doe hot on his heels.he waited for them and off into the brush they went.first buck i have seen in the regular firearm seasons.go figure.
No shots?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
clermont said:
lanchestercounty said:
No shots?
that right there made me laugh out loud.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Its called the second rut. Approximately 30 days after the primary rut, any unbred does come back in and creates another rut, just not as strong as the first wave. Usually around Dec 7th

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
clermont said:
lanchestercounty said:

No shots?

no.....no shots...not that i wasnt expecting any

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
lanchestercounty said:
clermont said:
lanchestercounty said:

No shots?

no.....no shots...not that i wasnt expecting any

·
Registered
21,546 Posts
Yesterday in Indiana county I saw a group of three or four scrapes under the same tree that were worked somewhat recently. There wasn't any snow in them and there was a blanket of snow on the ground.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Opening day I found a scrape that looked kind of fresh, so I put some doe estrous in it, and laid a scent trail towards my stand. A few hours later, I had My 9 point come in with his nose in the air not 10yds downwind of the trail. I'm not positive he was looking for a doe,but he was definatly distracted by the scent and not paying attention to Me!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
first week or two of dec. the late does will go into estrous. it's a very small percentage of them however they do get the bucks coming around like mid november tends to do....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts