The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
How rusty are we talking?? Light surface rust? Or practically rusted closed? (I've seen one that bad...an acquaintance thought stainless doesn't rust and his dehumidifier in his safe would be fine...no need to clean..).

Make/model? Condition of the rest of the gun?

If the bore is not salvageable and the est of the gun is in good shape and worthwhile there are options of having it bored out or replace the barrel...

I'd start by soaking it down with a good penetrating oil for a while...let it soak and work...then get at it with normal brushes and patches to see just how bad it is...

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Soak in PB Blaster.Then scrub with a jag and 0000 steel wool.A good aluminum rod works great for this. Do not use a drill.That is for smooth bore guns.
They gotta be REALLY bad to not have this work.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
You can also put a piece of a Scotchbright pad on a jag or wrap it over a bore brush and scrub the bore. Soak the pad with oil. Whatever you do do not use any Naval Jelly or rust fixative agents.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
I have a Rusty black powder barrel, or two or six, and mine all shoot just fine!

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
bobcat1 said:
Retired_Rusty said:
I have a Rusty black powder barrel, or two or six, and mine all shoot just fine!
Hard to load though right?
Lol, nope, min aren't. I was just making a play on words with my moniker.

But yes, a corroded barrel is very hard to load, especially with a patch and ball. The patch catches on the rust, and gets ripped or snagged. Those rips or snags will badly affect accuracy because of burn through or blow-by.

If you can even get the PRB down against the powder.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've never tried it but an old timer has told me that he has soaked many a rusted barrel in cheap cola. He used a small piece of gutter and would soak them for a day or so then wipe them down and clean as usual. Again only second hand info.

·
Registered
9,735 Posts
goalscorer said:
I've never tried it but an old timer has told me that he has soaked many a rusted barrel in cheap cola. He used a small piece of gutter and would soak them for a day or so then wipe them down and clean as usual. Again only second hand info.
I too have heard of the great rust removing qualities of Coke.I remember back in grade school my teacher told us to put a rusty nail in Coke and it will take the rust right off.I never did try it and remember him sayin that,s why he would never drink cola.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I've had some TC barrels that cleaned up with PB Blaster and shot great. I didn't notice them being hard to load but I use sabots. The Coca Cola thing sounds interesting. I think the rust is pretty easy to get out but the pitting and the damage to the rifling just looks bad. Not convinced it really affects accuracy that much but hard to tell they way I shoot with open sights. I have not heard of using carb cleaner.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
In some of my old Milsurps that had rough bores when I got them, I used oily 0000 steel wool followed by JB Bore paste (cleaned out the oil before I used the paste). Worked well. Won't remove deep pitting but will remove rust and polish up the bore

·
Administrator
39,076 Posts
USAF_SP said:
In some of my old Milsurps that had rough bores when I got them, I used oily 0000 steel wool followed by JB Bore paste (cleaned out the oil before I used the paste). Worked well. Won't remove deep pitting but will remove rust and polish up the bore
Someone here once told me about the JB paste. It works great!

·
Registered
83 Posts
This was all a very good read. some of the tips are spot on . For light or spot rust a 50cal brush with fine steel wool wrapped around it and lightly oiled works great. The best advice I remember from Tony Knight was "if you shoot a muzzleloader you clean it. PERIOD!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I bought a TC Omega with a badly rusted bore, WD-40 Wire brush alot of patches until it looked pretty good. Then bore butter and patches. That gun shoots 2" at 100 yards all day long. Just keep scrubbing!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.