The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently I'm a bad flint owner. Haven't shot for a while and had a look at it today and saw it. There is some on the face of the frizzen, A little on the hammer, and some dots on the barrel.I thought I cleaned it up well but obviously not.I didn't think there was anything you put on the frizzen to prevent this, am I wrong? I don't think I touched the frizzen to get oil on it from my finger,I ran a cloth across it to clean it, I guess I must have touched it and not known it. Your recommendations are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In a safe, there is a dehumidifier in the room it's in but not in the safe. Any ideas on getting taking care of the rust?

·
Registered
12,517 Posts
very fine steel wool (OOOO grade) will scrub off rust without marring the finish,,,,, normally. A household SOS of Brillo pad is slightly coarser but will do in a pinch.

It may not be that you didn't coat it with oil. Nearly all oils evaporate with time. Some faster than others. Some "3 in 1" type machine oils, are meant as lubrication and not necessary meant to provide a lasting coating that is protection from humidity. Better Gun oils are supposed to be less prone to evaporation. Even though I clean the guns. I try to give each a coat of good gun oil at least once a year while in storage. If you can find it, some surplus stores had QT cans of gov't grade machine oil a few years ago. My experience is that the go't surplus stuff lasts longer than 3 in one oil, or what some call sewing machine oil.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I had problems with humidity and rust problems, seemed like the oil would evaporate.
I gave Break Free CLP a try and the rust problems went away.
Just don't forget to wipe the oil off with alcohol before shooting.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Jim Chambers makes and sells two products I cant say enough good about---One is a thicker oil for the inner and outer barrel and I use it on anything metal outside the lock!!! Awesome stuff-----He also sells a thinner oil for the lock----I personally would recommend buying both! I wonder if the dehumidifier is too close to the gun cabinet and pulling the moisture towards that room-----I will think about relocating my dehumidifier away from my cabinet as to pull the moisture into another area away from the safe. JMHO

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I will swab by barrell with either break free or bear grease, then take that patch and rub down the barrell and lock area it has been working realoly well

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the ideas guys,the humidifier is about 15' away in the back of the room that is separated and shut off from the rest of the downstairs.I just picked up the 0000 steel wool tonight,luckily it's really just spots of rust at this point. I want to make sure I do the correct thing to take care of it now,and I knew with this group I would get the right info. Thanks

·
Registered
394 Posts
I would not use oil. Before using steel wool try some bore butter on a rag and fingernail should get rid of rust spots Except frizzen face the flint should take care of that.
then use bore butter on the outside of gun .It will be there next time you pick up the gun

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
<span style="color: #000000">Something I was just thinking=====is it rust from sitting or did you use scalding hot water or use a blow dryer to the point you mage the gun VERY HOT lasttime you cleaned her? (FLASH RUST) not a big deal either way just follow the above advise. I had flash rust happen a few years ago when I OVERHEATED the metal with a hair dryer----I like to use one to ensure the gun is very dry when Im done cleaning and prior to putting it in </span>a silicone sock. I just dont COOK Elisabeth anymore---

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aha... what I do is get a pot of water to where bubbles start dancing on the bottom of the pot then clean the barrel.(to hot ya think?)Just use the water as hot as it comes out of the faucet from now on?Although she sat for three months or so since I last shot er. It was very easy to get off w/no pitting. Under the jaw was my fault I didn't get all the fowling off and needed to use 0000 w/ballistol to remove the rust.I used bore butter to get off what little rust was on the barrel. All is well now she shines like new,w/a light sheen of ballistol on the barrel and lock. I will be much more vigilant in my care from now on. I thank you all for your advise,once you hear it it seems simple enough, once you hear it. There's no replacing experience thanks guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts