The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any good ideas on keeping trucks from rusting out? I bought a used F-150 eight years ago and had every thing professionally undercoated but now the vehicle is completely rusted out. The undercoating made things worse once rust and moisture spread underneath the coating.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have few friends that have their vehicles sprayed with oil, I think bar oil and something. It must work because they still have a 1996 Ford Ranger 4x4 that looks new inside, outside, and underneath. I'm thinking of having it done, $50, one time per year. Gary U

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
My wifes cousin who had this done regulary up around Albion,Pa.his car rusted out only in the spots where they drilled thru the body to squirt the oil and put in plugs.The rust at the plugs is serious and is ruining the car.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Not if it,s heated bearhollow.Nothing is worse on a car that is exposed to the toxic soup they put on the roads is to put it in a heated garage.Keep it in the cold until you thoroughly clean it then you are fine.

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
Exactly.It will start oxidizing when it gets warm.Mix equal parts of used motor oil and kerosene and spray the underneath.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I don't have a heated garage and do understand the electro-chemistry of corrosion regarding the temperature factor. I do know that my 2002 avalanche has spent 10 years enduring pennsylvania winters and has spent those winters in my garage. Now either chevy's corrosion protection is pretty darn good (I think all vehicles today have pretty good factory corrosion protection) or the garage has made an impact. The current truck still has the original exhaust system which would have been unheard of a few years ago. My last truck had 9 years in the garage and like now did not have a spot of rust on it when I got rid of it.

The best coating these days is the original galvanized steel and paint. Any stone chip through this coating will create havoc. Not a fan of spraying oil on the vehicle unless you do it on every square inch of exposed metal. You also have to do it on a regular basis. The worst corrosion I've had was in the brakes where oil would do nothing. The other thing that oil does is attract dust and dry dirt that may very well hold muck such as salty slush.

BTW: Corrosion never sleeps and can also occur the other 8 months out of the year when there is no snow. Keeping the vehicle out of the weather all year long does make a difference. Even if it is a car port.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
locon, I checked out krown rustproofings web site it seems like a good product. It is a two hour drive to get there but I think it would be worth it! Thanks.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally had my truck sprayed by Krown rustproofing, they did a good job. I will continue to have them spray once a year, they have a good website that explains the process.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts