The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hunting in the rain a few times this year, I noticed that some of the screws on my bow have a little bit of rust on them. What is the best way to get rid of the rust? Should I just use gun oil, or is there a better product.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I would have used WD 40. Then wipe it out, a while later.

Of course, I used it previously on a flintlock rifle, the stuck tire bolts during a PA snow storm and frozen house and auto door locks. It displaces water.

·
Super Moderator
7,776 Posts
WD40 does the trick. Every time I was out in rain this year, I let the bow dry, and if any hint of rust was found on the screws, I sprayed them, wiped off the excess and let it dry. The bolts all look like new.

If you let them sit rusting for a length of time, though, you won't get them completely free of it again.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
another thing to think about and I just got done doin it before I put my bow away is to apply mineral oil to the axels.

My dad has always done it and has gotten me into the habit of it. After I put it on with an eye drop I put the bow back several times to work it in

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I am not trying to be smart here, but why not just replace the bolts? You can upgrade all of your hardware to something with a rust resistant coating for about the same price as a couple cans of WD-40.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
he could. But its preventative maintenance so you dont have to worry about replacing parts

·
Super Moderator
7,776 Posts
Esox_Hunter said:
I am not trying to be smart here, but why not just replace the bolts? You can upgrade all of your hardware to something with a rust resistant coating for about the same price as a couple cans of WD-40.
You could, but it will take longer than the lifetime of a hunting bow (even for people who use one forever) for most people to use even a can just for that purpose. I can't imagine I'd go through a can of WD-40 for rust prevention on bolts on my bow in less than 10 years, but it would probably be much longer than that. The quantity needed is so small.

I use it to clean my rifles, too, and for various household uses, and I don't buy a can more often than maybe every 3-5 years anyway.

Replacing bolts will surely work...just depends on which you prefer to do. Of course, you probably won't be replacing your limb bolts, which will rust, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts