The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired a 3 month old walker about 2 weeks ago and the obedience training has really been coming along good. I've been taking him on woods walks at least 5 times a week; he does really good the first half of the walk but then when we turn around he acts totally different; he pulls a lot more and if I'd let him he'd run back to the truck. Why does he do this? Why's he so eager to get back? Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
24,729 Posts
I beleive that may be the problem... He wants off lead... He wants to have fun run and explore.. once <span style="text-decoration: underline">you</span> get comfortable with trusting him more and letting him roam and explore and have fun in the woods...You should see a change.. You both need to develop a bond of trust with each other..

Best of luck!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing is though he doesn't start pulling and getting real excited until we turn around on the trail and start to work our way back? Thanks for the help timberdoodle, appreciate it

·
Registered
441 Posts
Do you walk him in the afternoon and feed him right after? It wouldn't take two days or so of walking and then feeding right after for him to learn the routine. He could run your scent right back to the truck and the sooner he gets there the sooner he eats.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a good thought but no I haven't done that. He didn't even want to go for a walk this morning; I had to practically drag him so I didn't go far and turned around and he was all hyper again and tried to run back to the truck?? . . I can't understand why?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
snappertrapper said:
The thing is though he doesn't start pulling and getting real excited until we turn around on the trail and start to work our way back? Thanks for the help timberdoodle, appreciate it
He is very young at 3 months old. He is excited when you head beack to the truck because he knows what is there. He needs to learn that nothing is going to happen in new situations. Expose him to everything possible right now. In the woods and not. He needs to get off the lead so he can build up his confidence, and yours.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Start walking him with no lead already? He's doing pretty well at obedience training but I'm still a little worried he'll take off. Thanks a lot for the insight Mr. Purnell

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I would try him off lead somewhere you can control him if needed like a dog park, baseball field or something like that. If he seems like he is worried about the unknown it will probably be a little while till he really goes far.

If he is going to be a coondog, and you are planning on hunting him, you really need to get used to the idea you may not be seeing him until he is treed...Lots of used tracking systems available right now for decent money. BTW call me Andy, Mr Purnell was my dad.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Enjoy it. He is a pup. In another year when you head for the truck he won't want to quit hunting and you won't be able to get him to the truck. lol

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got another question already haha. So this morning I took him out the mountain and started walking down the road to see if he'd follow me, no leash or anything. He did and he stayed fairly close for awhile. A couple times he'd wander off a little and I just kept going and eventually he'd catch back up. Then one time he wandered off the road and I waited for a couple minutes and he wasn't coming back and I could see that he was pretty far back in so I hollered for him to come and he ignored me; I started walking after him and hollered a few more times only to be ignored. When I finally caught up to him I didn't scold him, just picked him up and back to the truck we went. Was that the right thing to do? Maybe I shouldve left him wander longer? Any advice?

When I started trapping I realized there was a lot more to it then what I originally thought and now I'm realizing that this is the same way haha.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I mean I'm happy that he wants to go off and hunt and explore this young but I'd like to know I have a handle on him as well . . just a little perplexed I guess

·
Registered
24,729 Posts
One of the problems with going in and picking him up and ending on that note is that he can easily learn to avoid you if he wants... When he sees you coming he is going to take off...

Dogs that are tractable are a joy to hunt with...However, robotic dogs seem to lose hunt and rely too much on the handler negating the dogs best assets...

If you are out try and give the dog the time...I have found if I walk off from a pup they will soon come looking for me...

All my pups start off lead in the woods... They ususally don't see a lead till they are about 6-9 months old and then learn to walk on lead... A three month old pup should still want to be with you enough ...when the dogs start on game and have fun chasing thats when catching them becomes a real chore...
See what you have to look forward to??? E collars are made for off lead hunting dogs..

·
Registered
490 Posts
I never let my pups run on their own until after they have had their rabies shot. Only takes a second for them to run into a sick skunk.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Try taking him to new areas and go travel different ways in and out so he doesn't know when the truck is near. If you can fit a training collar on him that may or may not help him come back and not ignore you when called. You just have to be careful when using a training collar. If you get a collar with a tone button a dog can usually be trained to come back with no need to shock. If you go with a training collar don't use settings too high and watch your dogs reaction. You could do more harm than good. In a feww months he will be more interestd in the woods and fields than the truck.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I learned this real quick, not a pro by any means, but as soon as my beagle pups built enough confidence to move away from me, it seemed like their ears turned off. When they smelled something, they could care less what I was doing, which is the point really.

Greatest investment I ever made was a Tri-Tronics shock system. Even at 3 years old I have to remind them every once in a while who the boss is. My female pup that lives in the house handles pretty well but even she gets the tone button sometimes.

Hound dogs...Hard headed and one minded.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts