The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some thoughts on running rabbits at night for training purposes. I just came down thru the yard and seen a bunny and thought it may be better running at night when its cooler. Is it legal on state land. I run alot on a state park and i dont thing it would be legal, i'll check later. Maybe i will try this weekend on some private land.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I run at night when it's to hot during the day. The rabbits don't hole up as quickly at night.But the dogs don't have to hunt very hard and it can make them lazy if done to much.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would seem to me that they wouldnt "jump" as many rabbits sitting. It seems like they would start them just by crossing the fresh trail. I have a pup im working with every day, and im thinking just for a change in pace, i would take her out at night.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I know guys that run at night. Just keep an eye out for yotes if they're in your area.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Keep an eye out for yotes and make sure ya trust your dogs arent runnin off game

Cody

·
Registered
438 Posts
Very good idea if they are puppies and you don't want them to sight chase.Keep a close eye on them if they are puppies due to predetors. Night time they have to rely on their noses.Try to find a starter pen if their pups 1-3 acres then just turn them loose.Have fun....

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I run at night all summer long, but I like to run at the beagle club at night. I like the peace of mind that comes from being inside the fence, haven't had any trouble with coyotes in there....yet!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
John, what days are you running at the club at night... Hank N Lady are so fat and out of shape I'm ashamed to say they are mine....

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I was out there all night last night. I can go anytime wayne, unemployed right now. Just let me know if you want to go.

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
I run mine like that alot. Gets em in shape for hunting season. Strap the GPS on em and let em run!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts