The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry if this was brought up before but here it goes. when someone runs coyote dogs they can go for a long ways. is it tresspassing if they run across posted property? if so how does one prevent it?

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
I would think this came out of the posts on the predator forum on the same topic so either you didn't see my answer or you didn't like my answer but here is a piece of it that explains some of the ways houndsman work on preventing what your asking:

Some misinformation going on in some of your posts there fellas. (this first sentence was in response to several posters claiming hounds were uncontrolable) I have easily thousands of dollars invested in equipment ment to do exactly what some of you folks say can't be done- aid me in the control my hounds. I have easily over 1300 dollars invested in shocking collar systems, upgrading several times over the years, the same with tracking equipement, and the vast amount of other expeneses. I can use my garmin Astro to keep my hounds off the roads, highways, and private property most of the time. It starts with deciding where your actually going to release your hounds- talking to neighbors, friends of friends of friends, etc, doing the leg work, getting the permissions, dropping off the pizza, donuts, etc, showing the yotes to the landowners, getting them in the pics etc, then it goes to the positioning of the folks hunting with you- experience of the person,whether they have a tracking sytem or not, etc. In some places we hunt we have more people in better positions to retrieve hounds than shoot the yote. That's how it goes. There are some places we don't hunt without a certain number of guys, there are some places that we could do really well on that we don't even attempt. We also know our hounds, how they handle, how they run, fast, slow, ect. We match the hounds (and number of hounds released) to the area we are going to hunt. There are many places we hunt as a group that are much better suited to the running of yotes than the shooting of them. The dogs enjoy themselves, the yotes live to run another day, us houndsman and hunters have what I call a negative calorie day. We expend more calories hiking around trying to get in the right position than we actually take in that day.

Keystonepaul

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
good answer keystone
Getting permission is the best way. I do lots of leg work talking with landowners, neighbors of landowners, and friends long before we even plan a hunt. I plot it out on topos and highlight posted areas. I do everything in my abilities to prevent it. Some areas I won't hunt because I don't have the permission from all landowners and know my hounds will end up on posted property. As Paul said thousands $$$$ invested in electronics to locate and control the dogs. Two way radios to communicate with every hunter in the hunting party. Keeping trucks ready to retrieve the dogs, it is all a part of hunting coyote with hounds. A large part of the hunt is chasing hounds and not hunting it is all part of the fun.

·
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
keystone i dont go in the predator forum very often so i didnt read your original post. this was brought up at work the other day and we talked about it i told them id ask on here and get some answers from the experts so i guess one answered.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
great post as i knew nothing bout running yotes with hounds
....to someone without the knowledge on what really goes into running hounds, most/some might think you just let them go on a sent trail and start going after them..............bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts