The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that it is good to start a young dog off on feeders. My question is how much is too much? I understand that it depends on how well the dog takes on track but should I cut him off after he trees say 5 or 10 coon?

·
Registered
392 Posts
IMO I think if you have a young dog that can accurately run, locate and tree 10 coons off feeders, he's ready to go out and hunt up his own coon.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
I agree with casb that after they can run there own coon off a feeder they are ready to go hunt up their own track but i doubt running off the feeder after that will hurt anything either.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
be sure to turn him loose before you get to the feeder to allow him to strike on his own...
Thats right, we still hunt experienced dogs over feeders in places where coons are sparse and difficult to find........usually they never strike at the feeder they strike before or after the feeder..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright thanks a lot guys for the advice i took the feeder out today hopefully we'll get some warm weather and i can get this dog started

·
Registered
106 Posts
IF YOU GOT BEARS IN YOUR AREA THEY WILL FIND THEM PRETTY QUICK,AND ONCE THEY FIND THEM THEY WON'T LEAVE THEM ALONE.

·
Super Moderator
12,811 Posts
my advice is dont hunt the feeders regularly...

you end up with some very educated coons when you turn loose into them regularly...long chases, holes, dens, etc..my experience is for some reason they REALLY like to hole..if there is a hole nearby, a coon thats been ran is likely to head for it for some reason...

i agree with the others..when we do setup a feeder its near water...and den trees...turn the dog loose a bit away from the feeder and send it towards it..some dogs might not go very far in the direction you send them or might not go far on their own at first..so you gotta see what your dog likes...if they dont go that far, make your way towards it and call your dog to you (unless it went huntin..if it went huntin let it hunt!)

the only reason we use feeders here is because we know we can get a good hot track off of them right away..no guessing about it...we got coon here..some of the best coon hunting ive been in is right here in my back yard and ive hunted most of this side of PA and the eastern side of ohio..but for young dogs, its nice to know where you can find a hot track for the young dogs..

also will run old/experienced dogs on them once in a while...usually bad nights..bad weather etc we will send the experienced dog into the same woodlot as the feeder..maybe down the same creek bed as the feeder..whatever..the old dog will find the track as they know how to go huntin...or BETTER..or they wouldnt be an old dog im huntin lol..

i still have mixed thoughts on feeders...usually everytime im in a competition and the guide is turning us into feeders it turns into a nightmare...the competition guys like it coz you can get coons treed quick and easy..but i dont know..i got mixed feelings about them..but i guess thats why..pleasure hunting they are fine..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts