The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any runners on this site? If so, how often do you get out? I try to get out at least 4 days a week - almost always in the dark

It seems to be more like a chore this time of year. I used to hike a lot, but with busy schedules, full-time jobs, and kids, running seems like the only possible way to stay in shape any more. Guess I'm just looking for some moral support.

·
Registered
670 Posts
When I'm in the running mode, I run 3 times a week, with Sunday being my long day. I usually don't run much during hunting season though. Right now I'm running once a week and doing the elliptical 2 times a week.

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
I am at my local high school 3 nights a week with my son for his wrestling practices. So I hit the track around the football field for 30-45 mins on those nights.

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
I wish I could!! With my neck surgery a couple of years ago I just fast walk my butt off.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing wrong with fast walking! The most important thing is to be doing something. Sometimes I think exercise is as much for getting rid of anxiety as it is for anything else.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I'm in the runners club too. I'm relatively new but now that I've gotten my first injury, I call myself a runner. I started in July of 2011. I've learned a lot and lost a pile of weight. I've done six 5K's, a 5 miler, a 10 mile trail race, and a half mara. I was fine until the half. I developed patellar tendonitis and I've been fighting my way back since then. My wife and I have a 5K on New Years eve coming up. I've really grown to enjoy running and i'm already picking races to do next year. The stress relief that was mentioned is true. Before I started my taper prior to the half, I was up to 11 miles for long runs. After running 11 miles, I wasn't worried about much except finding some post run fuel ! It helps to have a spouse that runs too. I never would have started if mine wasn't already running. I of course went through the new runner phase and spent way too much time talking about it. She always brought me back down to earth. I haven't tried running in the dark yet. My schedule is somewhat flexible so I can find time after work usually plus weekends. We have a gym membership too. I admit to hating the dreadmill. I was there this afternoon on the elliptical. The neat thing is that a few of the machines face a wall of windows overlooking a small pond. I've seen ducks there in the past but I saw a muskrat today.If any of your kids are old enough, you could try involving them. Our daughter is 9. While she hasn't started running regularly yet, she has done a number of 1/2 and 1 mile kids runs. She did all four in a series this Summer. Our 12 year old son has NO interest in running at all. If you have a very young kid you could try getting a jogging stroller. Telling your wife that you're taking the kid out for a run won't usually get a negative response.

·
Registered
670 Posts
That is good advice to involve your kids. When my middle son was about 12-13 he started running with me. I would have to throttle back , so we could stay together, and he would struggle to do a 10:30 min. Mile. Now he's 19, and he can run circles around me. It's really awesome watching him progress . Matter of fact we did. 4 miler together today . He's home for college break, and it's the first time we ran together for awhile.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
CampHollow said:
Nothing wrong with fast walking!
I was a runner up to age 47. Now I'm a walker. And I love it.

IMHO, if you are going to run and you're middle aged, you need to be quite serious about stretching and flexibility work. Or you can get yourself into trouble with injuries. I found this out the hard way.

If you don't have good flexibility, your gait can be messed up, and that can cause all kinds of injuries from running.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
troutbert said:
CampHollow said:

IMHO, if you are going to run and you're middle aged, you need to be quite serious about stretching and flexibility work. Or you can get yourself into trouble with injuries. I found this out the hard way.

If you don't have good flexibility, your gait can be messed up, and that can cause all kinds of injuries from running.
I totally agree with the stretching and flexibility aspect. I'll be 42 in January. What got me into trouble was not doing any strength training. Maybe I was lazy or just thinking I was 20 years younger but, I just didn't do it. Big mistake ! Now in addition to stretching ( and using a foam roller), I'm working on building muscle and doing a lot of hip and quad work to stabilize everything.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I have been running on the treadmill for a couple months now. 5 days a week, 30 min a day. I used to run many years ago, but it gave me a lot of trouble with my knees and shins. I have been pain free since I started running on my treadmill, but 1 day running on the road and it made me sore. My treadmill must have just enough bounce to relieve the stress.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Too bad we couldn't get together for some 5/10K races next year. I live close to State College and there are a ton of races around here.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I look for new races to do all the time and I've seen some that look fun in your area. The trouble is that it would almost require an overnight stay. If they have the Les Haas trail run again in September, we could meet in the middle. It's in Ridgway. I really enjoyed that race. I put in a report in the Outdoor Issues forum since the race was posted there as a sticky. It's about 4 pages back.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
troutbert said:
CampHollow said:

I would say this is true for people of all ages, especially when running long distance

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
If anyone is running the Pittsburgh Marathon beside myself and Jgunns2002, we can get a support thread going here that focuses on nutrition, training, etc. training starts in 3 weeks

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
pamusky said:
I too enjoy running but my knees won't take much more than 4 miles 3 times a week at most.
Not to put a damper on this thread, but for the people I work with my recommendation is if you're over 30, 3-4 miles--3/4 times per week will give you enough cardio benefit and keep the pounding of your joints and back to a minimum. I much prefer the bike to running for this reason, and you can do a stationary bike in the off season. Or combine reduced running routine with biking.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Davy Crockett said:
pamusky said:
I too enjoy running but my knees won't take much more than 4 miles 3 times a week at most.
Not to put a damper on this thread, but for the people I work with my recommendation is if you're over 30, 3-4 miles--3/4 times per week will give you enough cardio benefit and keep the pounding of your joints and back to a minimum. I much prefer the bike to running for this reason, and you can do a stationary bike in the off season. Or combine reduced running routine with biking.

what do you mean the people you work with?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I'm in health care, and not in the habit of giving specific health advice over the internet but general recommendations such as this can help people on a preventative basis.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
I just recently got back into running after a long time off. I'm following the c25k plan to start but have plans to complete a tough mudder this summer. A lot of work to do in 6 months but I'm motivated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts